Author Topic: DNA Query  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Query
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
You'll both need to download your DNA data from Ancestry and then upload it to Gedmatch. You will then be able to compare chromosome by chromosome and use other features.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
You'll both need to download your DNA data from Ancestry and then upload it to Gedmatch. You will then be able to compare chromosome by chromosome and use other features.
Thank you. I'll have a chat with her and we will look into this  :)

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
The first thing to check is whether both of you are getting other matches that tie in with the set of grandparents you think you share. If one of you is, but the other is not, then this might suggest that there is a discrepancy between the documented family and the biological family.
Slightly worried as I am getting matches that tie in with our grandparents but she isn't. The only matches she is finding is from her mother's side?
Haven't suggested Gedmatch to her yet as tbh I'm concerned what it might turn up :-\
Could there be another explanation or is it a likely case that we aren't related after all?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
It looks as if it could be a non-parental event or maybe a family adoption- i.e. you're not related.  That's difficult for you  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 June 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
It looks as if it could be a non-parental event or maybe a family adoption- i.e. you're not related.  That's difficult for you  :-\

I agree - handle with care as this looks like a potentially sensitive outcome with regard either to her own paternity or her father's blood ancestry.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 June 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Oh dear.. Possibly opened quite a large can of worms here... I'll let her take the lead on this and decide how she wants to go about it I think  :-\
I guess what I'm asking is.. Is there anyway the DNA test can be mistaken.. Can we still be cousins but just not have the same DNA.. I'm guessing not.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 June 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
I've not known such a mistake.

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
I've not known such a mistake.
OK thank you... Awkward situation.. I'll let her decide how she wants to proceed.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
There are rare circumstances in which anomalous DNA results are caused by a phenomenon called chimerism, one variant of which involves the absorption and expression of donor DNA by a recipient of a transplant or transfusion. Modern methods of treating donor tissue and blood products make this less likely to happen nowadays (and it was always rare). It’s very unlikely to be relevant but worth mentioning for completeness.

I suppose there is a theoretical possibility that a lab processing a DNA genealogy sample might attribute a sample to the wrong person, but there are careful safeguards against this and like Gadget I have not heard of it happening.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)