Author Topic: Presbyterian query.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian query.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
Just remembered that Eliza's 'first' husband William McDowell died without a Will (this is what happens when two threads are running at the same time)-
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William M'Dowell late of Lisdrumwhir County Armagh Farmer deceased who died 2 December 1878 at same place were granted at Armagh to Eliza M'Dowell of Lisdrumwhir (Glenanne) aforesaid the Widow of said deceased.
So, his relative involved in court case couldn't say Eliza forfeited property by a subsequent marriage,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 June 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this is a relative of William McDowell's? (very interesting Will but doesn't shed any light on Eliza)-
Probate of the Will of Archibald McDowell late of Lisdrumchor County Armagh Farmer who died 2 February 1911 granted at Armagh to Jane Hunter Spinster. Effects £411 5s. 0d.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05406/4510173.pdf

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the two threads.

The will record for a Robert McDowell in 1875 he mentions leaving his farm to his son William - it also mentions a son John and daughter Eliza McComb (who I believe married a David McComb in 1855).

John McDowell brought the legal case against Eliza McComb (William's wife) - I believe because she remarried and according to Robert's will it should be past to John, after the death of William.

Both William and Roberts lands were granted to John McDowell May 1881 (after Eliza McComb committed suicide).

I didn't know whether William John was the son of David and Eliza McComb (nee McDowell) and hence WJ married his aunt???

Sounds strange, but knowing the area they lived in and will and lack of marriage record thought this might be possible?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
My theory is that because she knew she would lose the property if she remarried (terms of her first husband's will), she may have just lived with W.J. McComb, and her first husband's brother (who was in line to get the farm if she remarried), protested and tried to claim the farm.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
Would she still have taken his name (Mc Comb) if they hadn't married? As the court and death certificate state Mc Comb wife of WJ McComb.

I know records were kept until 1864, is there anyway to find birth records before that?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
She could have been known as W.J.'s wife but never actually married him. I suspect, as Eileen does, that a marriage did not take place.

Registration of births started 1864 so before that date you need to search for church records. Not all records pre-1864 survive and of those that do not all are online. Another problem may be that name of mother is not recorded in baptismal register- this varies according to minister and period.

Added- Robert McDowell's Will does NOT specify any stipulation as to what would happen if son William died. I think that since Eliza was William's widow she would have inherited William's share.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
Another assumption but possible John McDowell was annoyed that William's widow was with WJ and hence wanted to claim his father's estate.

I'm gathering that Robert's will is the same connection, especially since he died in 1875 and William in 1877 and then they were both granted a month after Eliza's death in 1881.

Thank you everyone for your help on this matter, it has been really frustrating me (for years!) and the lack of sleep over the past few weeks trying to find this record, that I know probably doesn't exist.

Offline Jnalson209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help that in Robert McDowell's will it names an Eliza McComb.

Why did they all have the same names  :(