Author Topic: West Calder Burials / Cremations in 1870  (Read 1605 times)

Offline craigalexanderjordan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West Calder Burials / Cremations in 1870
« on: Wednesday 03 June 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I have been trying to locate a burial record for my third great-grandfather James Andrew. I have a copy of his death certificate and I know he died in West Calder on November 4th 1870 and his profession was recorded as a Pitheadman.

I have tried to locate a burial record through various online resources, but with no luck. I also live in West Calder and I have manually searched the local cemetery with no results.

I suppose the main question I have is: What burial/cremation options were available to someone with the profession Pitmanhead in West Calder (or even West Lothian) in 1870?

Were there burials and/or cremations that went un-recorded at this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)

Thanks

Craig

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: West Calder Burials / Cremations in 1870
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat.

You have done all the groundwork yourself by searching the local graveyards. It could be that no headstone was erected at the time of his burial.

What I would suggest you do now is contact the authority responsible for maintaining the local cemeteries as they often have old records of burials. You can get this information online.

I have located family graves myself using this method and found them very helpful.

Good luck with your search and keep us updated on your findings.

Stay safe,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Craig,
A lot of my family were engaged in Coal Mining too, pay rates were not much above starvation level and the houses they lived in belonged to the Coal Master, as did the Store where they bought their Food & Working tools. The highest rates were for those down below, the lowest for those on the Pithead. So it is very likely your ancestor was buried in a Paupers Grave, alongside several others and unmarked. There will be a record of his burial and like me, you will be shown to an empty looking area and told "he is in there" much the same fate awaits Babies born dead, you will see little decorated areas without markers where these children are buried in bulk.

James.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
West Calder was a centre of the shale mining industry. The shale was heated in retorts to produce oil. The red bings of burnt shale were a feature of West Lothian.

Skoosh.