Author Topic: Warkworth, Northumberland Lookups for Brown family  (Read 573 times)

Offline JamesSut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Warkworth, Northumberland Lookups for Brown family
« on: Thursday 04 June 20 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Please could someone with access to the microfiche/images of St. Lawrence, Warkworth parish records lookup the following three events for me.  I'm interested in any additional information on the records.

Baptism Elizabeth Brown 27 Dec 1818. This is transcribed as Elizabeth Brocon on FreeReg. Is this a mistranscription? I have parents names George and Ellen, abode Warkworth, George was a shepherd. FreeReg doesn't give date of birth, although I have 15 Nov 1818 from somewhere (wasn't always good at keeping sources).

Baptism William Brown (my 3xGreat Grandfather) 12 Jan 1812. This one is on FamilySearch but not FreeReg (seems to be a gap early 1811 to early 1813, no Johns, Williams, Elizabeths or Marys). FamilySearch just gives father's name George. Again, I have date of birth 17 Sep 1811 from somewhere.

Marriage of George Brown and Eleanor/Ellen Smart 19 May 1811. From FamilySearch, no additional info.

I'm trying to improve George and family's profiles on WikiTree:
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Brown-91054

Thanks,

James

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Warkworth, Northumberland Lookups for Brown family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Baptism Elizabeth Brown 27 Dec 1818. This is transcribed as Elizabeth Brocon on FreeReg. Is this a mistranscription? I have parents names George and Ellen, abode Warkworth, George was a shepherd. FreeReg doesn't give date of birth, although I have 15 Nov 1818 from somewhere (wasn't always good at keeping sources).

Image has
27 Dec 1818
Elizabeth daughter of George & Ellen
Fathers occ Shepherd
Abode Warkworth

I can see how it has been transcribed as Brocon as the 'w' does look like 'co' on BT's

BT's are missing online from 25 April 1811 - February 1813
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
The archives are still closed at the moment so nobody can check the films at Woodhorn for you. Remind us again when they are out of lockdown.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JamesSut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, do you think it's obvious enough that it's Brown, not Brocon, to report it as a mistranscription on FreeReg?

The person transcribing for FreeReg was probably doing it from the same BTs with the gap.

Craclyn, I'll post a reminder when UK is out of lockdown.  I've been to Woodhorn once to look through records, but it's a 5 hour drive from me on a good day.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
That record on FreeReg has most likely been  WAS transcribed from the BTS
https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_contents/53cd4974eca9ebee4f007768?locale=en

The images are on family search and this is the entry for that baptism

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6S89-KD2?i=116&wc=9K53-N3V%3A13617901%2C31871001%2C31879401&cc=1309819

Like Rosie I can understand the transcriber choosing BROCON, but I also think its far more likely to be BROWN.

Boo

Offline JamesSut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tickettyboo, I hadn't realised that there are unindexed images of parish record on FamilySearch.  I reported it as a mistranscription on FreeReg, they can always choose to add a note the record.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
They are not the actual PRs but the copy of the PR that was sent to the Diocese each year hence the description BT (Bishops Transcript)

As with any transcript the original sometimes has better handwriting/ more info. The Parish Record is the original record.

Sadly the PRs are not available online on Family Search mainly because of restrictions in the agreement with the record holders - in this case Northumberland archives.

Once we get back to somewhere near normal a request for a lookup at the archives would result in someone checking the original PR for you or some one could look at the original record on Family Search if they visit and LDS family history centre ( who are also closed at the moment)

As for what is available on FS, its always worth putting a particular parish name into the catalogue search on Family Search, anything that has a camera icon (without a  key symbol above it) is available to view online.

For the Diocese of Durham which covers both Northumberland and Durham, the BTS are available (but not indexed) via this link
https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/indexowc=https://www.familysearch.org/service/cds/recapi/collections/1309819/waypoints

Can take a while to browse through them but it can also pay dividends. If you find an indexed entry for the PRS (which does not have images) or FreeReg check the BTS for that parish to see if the record is included on those.

Boo