Author Topic: Deleting a ThruLines ancestor?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Deleting a ThruLines ancestor?
« on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
I have several lime green potential ancestors in my ThruLines. They are not related to me. How can I remove them or are they there to stay? I am hoping I am just missing some delete button   ::)   Thank you
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting a ThruLines ancestor?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there is no delete button at present. If you are able to find the right ancestor to add to your tree then that should eliminate the green potentials. Otherwise, if they are being pulled from a clear error in someone else’s tree then you can start trying to persuade the other tree owner to make a correction. I don’t know if this functionality will be improved with the new beta match view that they are rolling out which can offer several alternative routes to common ancestors.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
If you go into the 'lime green' people and review the names, doesn't it ask you if the proposed match is correct and, if not, give you the option to say no in which case it disappears from your tree?

Without going in at the moment as I'm occupied on something else, I'm sure this is how I remember it working for me.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
If you go into the 'lime green' people and review the names, doesn't it ask you if the proposed match is correct and, if not, give you the option to say no in which case it disappears from your tree?

Without going in at the moment as I'm occupied on something else, I'm sure this is how I remember it working for me.

That works with the green potential ancestors on the tree, but not for those on the ThruLines page.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
I only use those when I'm told I have a common ancestor and want to review the possible connection. If I don't agree, I ignore them!

I can see why you'd think it necessary to delete them from your tree but, surely, in this case they're not there just to help you but others as well? Presumably, that is why you can't delete them.

Having received very few replies from possible connections to my tree in comparison to the number I've sent, I wouldn't waste my time trying to put others straight. Its a thankless task.

Just ignore them and move on!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
I can see why you'd think it necessary to delete them from your tree but, surely, in this case they're not there just to help you but others as well? Presumably, that is why you can't delete them.

Not sure how they would help others. They are incorrect, they are attached as fathers to children that were illegitimate, the green boxes then follow on down the generations, and I have to scroll past complete lines of green boxes, which is annoying and unnecessary to my mind.  There appears to be no way to delete them. I have tried with several of the "linked" people and no reply at all, so thats simply not happening  ???
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
I don't look at ThruLines very often as I've not found it all that illuminating. I do look at common ancestors though and check them thoroughly.

Because of this thread, I've popped into ThruLines to check the green ones and most  of the ones that I've checked are incorrect.  The linked trees are mostly copied from others and the errors are obvious. Strangely none of the tree owners that these are linked to are a DNA match to me*. What a surprise!

Ignore them, is my advice.

Gadget

* 2 are but  have inserted 'wishful thinking ancestors'
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 June 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
I agree. I don't see why - as you  say you know they're wrong from the start - why bother scrolling down?

The point I was trying to make is that, unlike your tree, the 'thruline' is there not just for you but for anyone with a possible connection to that branch and those names (whether correct or not). You can't expect Ancestry to know whether they're wrong or right. In a way - that's your job!  ;)

Its just possible (though, I grant you, not too likely) that someone may have found a father for an illegitimate child (I did - twice!) so perhaps keep an open mind??? Just a thought.  :-\
HELP!!!

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 June 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
   :-\