Author Topic: Deleting a ThruLines ancestor?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting a ThruLines ancestor?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 June 20 18:44 BST (UK) »
When this feature first appeared Thrulines persisted in linking me to a totally unrelated person with the same name as my grandmother.
I got in touch with the developers explaining the problem with feedback and as a direct email.
Within a few weeks the correct person from my tree was linked.
Maybe you should flag it up with Ancestry? It worked for me.
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
I got rid of the green ones by adding an Unknown Unknown or Unknown and Surname in the place on my tree where the green would be if correct.
Takes a couple of days to update.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 June 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
The downside of using Unknown Unknown is that you will not get any more suggestions while they are there, so you may miss out on a genuine potential ancestor.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 June 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
True, not a problem for me as the records don't exist but yes I can see how that could be a problem for others.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 June 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. I hadn't bothered with the thru lines at all, but a friend told me to have a look as she had found some good leads. When I did check, as I said earlier, there were all these lime green people! I will just go back to not bothering to look, as it did not bring too much to my party  ;) 8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 June 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
I used to get lime green people but not any more. Is it part of the latest update? If I hover over one of my ancestors on thrulines I get a message saying how many connections there are. One thing is a bit annoying is the number that come up as half cousins when they should be full. I think the problem is that it is picking up from other people's trees where they have not put in the mother's maiden name but used the husband's surname instead.
eg John Brown married Mary Smith, but some have not got her maiden name and recorded her as Mary Brown, or joined the surnames together and recorded her as Mary Smith Brown. So Ancestry thinks John Brown had two wives, hence the half relationship.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 June 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
ah that could explain why I also get halves when I expect wholes ( sounds odd but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say!) My first cousin- mothers were sisters- comes up as my 2nd or 3rd cousin and is not a starred match, so that is an oddity too. ::)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 January 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but i think my comment is still going to be relevant. I've been using thrulines since I got my ancestry results back 6 months ago. I find it amazingly accurate. I find that my matches are normally related to a sister or a brother of one of my ancestors and that our common ancestor is a mutual parent of those siblings. it is then quite easy to trace the line down towards the match although the very last step to a living cousin is often the hardest. I do assume that anyone entering details for themselves and their immediate parent is going to get this bit correct.

Mrs Zaph