Author Topic: Caroline Woodgate  (Read 681 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caroline Woodgate
« on: Friday 05 June 20 01:06 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

I am suffering from terminal confusion......

In the transcripts for Hampshire baptisms on Familysearch there are the following, all to John and Honor(i)a Woodgate..... but transcripts often miss out important information.

Caroline Maria Elizabeth Drummond Woodgate, baptized Millbrook 25 June 1806
Caroline Aliecia Elizabeth Drummond Woodgate, baptized Millbrook 25 April 1806
Caroline Alicia Elizabeth Drummend Woodgate baptized Fawley 5 Jul 1807

The PRs for Millbrook are on the Familysearch CattleDog.
The BTs for Fawley are also on the Familysearch CattleDog.
But - you have to go to an FHL to see them - and they're all closed.

So my question: Is there any other way to see them to try to resolve this conundrum?

Thank you most kindly,
Keith Jeffery in deepest darkest Queensland.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Woodgate
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 20 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hampshire Baptisms on Find My Past show:

Caroline Alicia Elizabeth Drummond Woodgate born 28/3/1806, bp.5/7/1807 Fawley, dau. of John and Ly. Honora, nee Lambert

Looks like she was baptised twice with the first one 25/4/1806 (month after birth) Millbrook, dau. of John and Honoria, note to say 'Esq., Capt in the Army and Lady'.

Would suggest the first entry on your list is an error on someone's part.

Hope the added details re. parent's status are what you want.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
John Woodgate, aged 26, buried 8/12/1806 Millbrook/Southampton, St. Michael.  Army Captain.   Entries under both places so would suggest maybe burial service at Millbrook and then burial in Southampton.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
John Woodgate, aged 26, buried 8/12/1806 Millbrook/Southampton, St. Michael.  Army Captain.   Entries under both places so would suggest maybe burial service at Millbrook and then burial in Southampton.

Annette

Thank you very much for that, I appreciate the information.

However (and please don't be offended) my question had to do with access to the PRs rather than the information in those PRs/BTs. So far it looks like I'll need to wait for the FHLs to reopen.

Best wishes, Keith

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 20 05:42 BST (UK) »

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 20 07:08 BST (UK) »

Yes, I know. However they're transcripts as far as I can tell. It's often the case that transcripts miss some of the information in originals, so that's why I'm after the actual PRs and failing that, the BTs.

Keith

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 20 07:45 BST (UK) »
I beg your pardon. Most of the Hampshire baptisms set include the images, (well the ones I have looked at before anyway)  so I assumed those ones would be there also, but I’ve just been to check, and no, they are not.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
Only certain parishes in the Deaneries of Portsmouth, Gosport, Fareham, and Havant in the Hampshire baptisms on FindMyPast have images - you can check which ones here:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/life-events-bmds/portsmouth-hampshire-parish-registers-parish-list

Southampton is not in one of those deaneries.

The HGS baptism index does not include the first one on your list for Caroline Maria, so this is likely to be an error which has crept in the transcription process.

May I ask what information you hope might be included?

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 June 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Only certain parishes in the Deaneries of Portsmouth, Gosport, Fareham, and Havant in the Hampshire baptisms on FindMyPast have images - you can check which ones here:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/life-events-bmds/portsmouth-hampshire-parish-registers-parish-list

Southampton is not in one of those deaneries.

The HGS baptism index does not include the first one on your list for Caroline Maria, so this is likely to be an error which has crept in the transcription process.

May I ask what information you hope might be included?

Nell

Generally accurate information related to the births/baptisms and the people involved. Titles are good. I tend to find too many inaccurate transcriptions on many web sites (including FindMyPast and Ancestry), so try to get the PRs at a minimum, or, if not possible, the BTs (even though they themselves are transcriptions). I tend to regard PRs, original marriage licenses and certain other information as primary, even though it's provided by people, but you have to start somewhere. For example I have PRs related to members of the Baker family in Somerset. They're all in Latin but give both parents, some with the mother's maiden name, birth and baptism dates and occupations.

I've also found some transcriptions to be accurate, particularly old ones. For example there's a book of Barnstaple, Devon transcriptions that seems to be good, at least when I've compared it with the PRs I've seen. A lot of British West Indies records seem to be accurately transcribed with some of the books being pretty darned good.

But --- I still want the PRs.

Regards, Keith