Author Topic: Lock/e family Bishops Hull Somerset  (Read 828 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lock/e family Bishops Hull Somerset
« on: Friday 05 June 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Locke family which included John Lock (yeoman/farmer) and his wife Mary. Their son Francis was baptised in 1823 in Bishops Hull (he is my husbands 3rd great grandfather). I am trying to work out who his siblings are in the hope I can find out more about John and Mary as well.

I have found about 13 baptisms of children of a John and Mary Lock in Bishops Hull ranging from 1810 - 1828. I am trying to work out if they are all their children or if there are 2 John and Mary Lock's.

I can't seem to find a marriage for John and Mary. I don't know Mary's maiden name.

For some reason when Francis was baptised 3 of his brothers information was put in at the same time but had different dates for all the baptisms. (Listed under 1826 baptisms but the actual baptism dates were 1819-1825). As they are together I am assuming they are the same family.

In 1810-1812 (baptisms) there are 3 children listed and unless they were baptised late the dates don't work. Only 1 had a birth date listed.

I think his brothers Philip and Richard ended up in Middlesex.

I have been staring at all of this for so long its all getting mixed up and would appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thank you.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lock/e family Bishops Hull Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
In 1851 there is a John Lock and his wife Mary living in Taunton-both give place of birth at Hockworthy Devon.

Marriage in Hockworthy, Devon -John Lock batchelor of the Parish of Bishops Hull in Somerset, married to Mary Merson of this parish-Spinster on 1 June 1809. Witnesses = Jane Escott and Sarah Merson..all were able to sign their names.

Hockworthy is between Wellington(Somerset) & Tiverton.

djm297

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you djm297. I found a possible brother of Francis called William Muson Lock baptised in 1816. I thought maybe that was the mothers maiden name and I think Merson would fit.

Now I wonder if they are brothers or if the parents are different?

Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Looking at the baptisms in Bishops Hull,I wonder if the baptism of Charlotte Lock -27.7.1811 and then of Charles Lock bapt 29.12.1812- but born 25.6.1811 actully indicate that these were actually twins?
The 13 Lock/e baptisms to  with John and Mary as parents span 18 years and apart from the  query about Charles and Charlotte, the dates between them work for them all to have been siblings.

Incidentally -a baptism for Mary Merson at Hockworthy on16 April 1787-parents=Philip and Mary.

In 1841,Samuel, Frederick and Alfred are with John and Mary in Taunton.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
The Bapts are on FreeREG;
John 1810
Charlotte 1811
Charles 1812 born 1811
Eliza 1813
John Edwin 1815
William Muson 1816
Mary Ann 1818
Philip 1819
Richard 1822
Francis 1823
Frederick 1825
Samuel 1826
Alfred 1828

I came to the same conclusion re those Bapts and Census

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Those baptisms match what I found. I did wonder about twins but it seems odd they didn't baptise them the same day. I did also wonder if maybe Charlotte and/or John were actually baptised when they were more than just a couple of months old and they just hadn't got around to getting them baptised till then.

I did find that Samuel was a witness at his brother Richard's wedding in Middlesex so that ties those 2 lots of baptisms together, along with that 1841 census. (I have been looking on Ancestry for that 1841 census but can't find them. Was there name spelled strangely or something like that?)

Incidentally I found that Philip was sentenced to transportation but something obviously happens as just a few short years later he pops up getting married and living in London. I haven't found an acquittal or anything yet so I'm not sure what happened there. 

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
Nevermind about the 1841 census. I found it under Loch and obviously they didn't bother to tell them that they weren't born in the same county.

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
In the Taunton Courier of 6 July 1836, it is reported under the heading The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors:

" The Matters and Schedules of the prisoners  hereinafter named are appointed to be heard as follows-at Wells in the County of Somersetshire on the 29th July 1836....... John Lock, formerly of Bishop's Hull,then of Broomfield-both in Somersetshire, farmer, and late of Pitminster, Somersetshire, first a hallier and labourer and lately out of business".

Might be John Snr ? it seems strange that on the baptisms he is listed as a Yeoman or Farmer in Bishop's Hull, but by 1841 he is an "Ag Lab " at Obridge in Taunton.

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 June 20 04:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that djm297. It's hard to know if its the same John Lock or not in that article.

I was just wondering where you got the baptism record for Mary Merson?

I can't seem to find it on FamilySearch or Ancestry and FreeReg doesn't have those parish records. I found a record for a Maria Merson baptised 2 years later at Clayhanger, Devon with the same parents names but that is a different person (I found her marriage to someone else).