Author Topic: Dundee West Burial.  (Read 649 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dundee West Burial.
« on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Denis Clancy Gardiner died 1952 in Dundee West - would like to know where he is buried and the date of death of his wife Jemima Taylor Gardiner.  Also did they have any children?
Thanks.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee West Burial.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Denis Clancy Gardiner died 1952 in Dundee West - would like to know where he is buried and the date of death of his wife Jemima Taylor Gardiner.  Also did they have any children?
When you say that his wife was Jemima Taylor Gardiner
- was her maiden surname also Gardiner?
- was Taylor her middle name?
- what was her maiden surname?
If you know her maiden surname, you can look for deaths after 1974 using that as a search term at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Looks like her maiden name was Watson , possible death in 1995 on SP.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 20 19:31 BST (UK) »
Looks like her maiden name was Watson , possible death in 1995 on SP.

ev

thanks - yes her full name was Jemima Taylor Watson.
Is there any way I can find any descendant of Denis and Jemima ?

Also can I find out if Jemima left a will.

Despite my user name I'm a Taff so not too familiar with the 'workings' of SP despite having registered with them!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
To find out what children they had would require a visit to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh. The in-house system includes a search of births using mother's maiden surname from 1929 onwards, but you cannot do it online.

Wills are only available online till 1925 or so. After that, you have to go to the National Records of Scotland at least twice - once to get the reference to use to order the document, and again a couple of days later to view it, because the wills are not stored in the building and have to be fetched.

See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
I'm in Haverfordwest SW Wales !

Can I access Jemima Gardiners death certificate on SP (1995) - hopefully a son or daughter will be the Informant of the Death ??

Also is there any way I can find out where she is buried - the burial records may give the name of a relative who organised things - or she may have been cremated.

Thanks.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Can I access Jemima Gardiners death certificate on SP (1995) - hopefully a son or daughter will be the Informant of the Death ??
Yes. But not until the end of lockdown when the staff at Scotland's People go back to working in-house.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:31 BST (UK) »

For death certificates less than 50 years old, no digital copies are available to view online. However, you can order an extract of the certificate for newer entries and this will be posted to your home address. This service is not available at the moment due to Covid19 restrictions.

Regarding burial information. It might be possible to find this out via Newspaper archives available at either Find my Past with their upper tier prescritpion or through the British Newspaper Archives. An obituary may exist with information regarding funeral arrangements. This isn't always the case though.

Bear in mind she may not have been buried.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie