Author Topic: Puttenham Cemetery  (Read 745 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Puttenham Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 20 06:34 BST (UK) »
As Pauline says it is not beside the Parish Church.  In Google Maps it is hidden in the trees between the B3000 and the Golf Course. If you zoom in on the area between the Hook Lane intersection and the big house to the south of the road you will see, about half way between the two on the northside, a pathway apparently entering the wood. If you go to Streetview at this point you will see the path is signed as "Puttenham Cemetery".
Looking at the 6" Ordinance survey map on the National Library of Scotland (1895) it seems a large area was intended as the new cemetery but much was later sold off to make the golf course. Perhaps the population didn't grow as expected !

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
Is this the cemetery you are asking about?
https://puttenham-pc.gov.uk/information/

(Scroll to the very bottom of the page - lol past the info about gas leaks, pot holes, re-cycling etc)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
and there is a one place study for Puttenham which seems to have a lot of info, including deaths. Unsure if these are in a parish churchyard or a cemetery (this is way outside my usual geographic area of research) but maybe worth a look depending on the time frame you are looking for?

http://www.puttenham.org.uk

Boo

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
hello!

Yes that is the cemetery - I found the some what damaged "Puttenham Cemetery" sign post on streetview!

I think some step-family "Leader" maybe buried there - they were living in Puttenham in 1939!

(Had hoped to gain some knowledge for my step-father for Father's Day)

Looked through the one place study website but they don't seem to get a mention  :-\

thanks for all your info, it is also out of my usual geographic area of research lol

best wishes  ;)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
If it were me I'd contact that Parish Council and ask
They may not give you the details, or perhaps may charge a hefty fee, but Shy Bairns get nowt and an email is free :-)

Boo