Author Topic: 1871 Census/workhouse records  (Read 1381 times)

Offline VintageDaisy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census/workhouse records
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 June 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply - you guys are absolutely amazing!!  I have made a note of all the possibles and will be looking into them. 

I had just hit a brick wall and was struggling where to look next.  :) :)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census/workhouse records
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 June 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Joseph Connell and Sarah Ann Bennett  in Hunslet 10 Oct 1896 has her as aged 48, a spinster and with father named as Joseph Bennett, a miner.

Joseph Connell died in Scarborough 12 Aug 1902 and left a will - his widow Sarah Ann is one of the executors.

I spent some time this morning trying to follow up later censuses  from the 1851 census suggested by Girl Guide earlier in the thread and am not convinced it is the correct family. In 1861 they may have been transcribed as Berrett - here Joseph has remarried to Matilda (maiden name could be Tay / Tague/ Jay). Sarah is showing as a nailor (age not clear). On the actual census image Parthenia is the head of house. In 1871 this Joseph is a widower and this Sarah is still a nail maker and not in Chesterfield! Note also that Joseph's occupation is given as boiler maker.

Here are the links from Familysearch;

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7D6-https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDDV-LZ4

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)