Author Topic: How far back have you got?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: How far back have you got?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
If your ancestors were vicars, aldermen, MP's, local Mayors then that can help as it leaves a good paper trail on the individual. My ancestor Robert Lambert moved from Walberswick Suffolk to Colchester and became an Alderman in the 1500s.

Wills are probably the best source for pre 1600 research. Even if many did not leave a will, many were named in one.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
I have spent decades believing it was impossible for me to find a trail for my multi country European extraction, so despite this is small beer to many of you, I am absolutely thrilled to have German record transcripts suggesting a pair of 6 x great grandparents in one of my lines.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
Also you may find likely ancestors with the same uncommon surname, but it is 3 or 4 generations back from your earliest known ancestor with the same surname, and you are not sure how they connect to your ancestor born 100 or so years later.

My ancestor John Coggeshall was born c1582, son of Roger of Fornham St Martin, Suffolk, and there was a Roger Coggeshall who died in 1541 in Fornham. His 1541 will does not mention a son or grandson Roger as far as I know but if I was to connect them, it would take me a long way back.

I have a John Larwood of Combs, Suffolk, born c1610 and it is believed the Larwood's descend from a single family way back in the 1200s in Horstead, Norfolk.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Knight-Sunderland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 June 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
The earliest record I have -

Roger Challice married Joan Predham on 5 February 1555 at the village of Newton St Cyres, Devon.

I am also descended from the Havelock family of Guisborough, and there are trees that have that family going back to the 1400's, but I'm yet to prove that.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 June 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Knight, so lucky the records are good there.
Newton St Cyres is a nice place...... some of my grandaughters went to primary school there.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 June 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
The Glemsford area of Suffolk also has good records. Lots of wealthy clothiers and merchants lived in that area, some are my ancestors. And a number of the clothiers/merchants, or their siblings and children went to America in the early to mid 1600s.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
I am going to buck the trend here and say 1740s, despite researching on and off for 20 years  ::  I am absolutely sure that it is possible to go back further on some lines but I have found plenty to do just focussing on more recent events. I think it will be a post lockdown resolution to concentrate on getting back to the 17th century on at least one of my lines though!

guest189040

« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Going sideways can also be very rewarding.

I did the Ancestry DNA test years ago and currently I am working through the matches that have been reported.

It can also help to confirm or otherwise the dubious person you have in the tree, the one where you have made a guess through lack of supportive info.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Going sideways can also be very rewarding.

I did the Ancestry DNA test years ago and currently I am working through the matches that have been reported.

It can also help to confirm or otherwise the dubious person you have in the tree, the one where you have made a guess through lack of supportive info.

It certainly has for me. It has lead me to finding out more for my direct ancestors, investigating mining and industrial accidents, and many fascinating people.  Fascinating for all sorts of different reasons. I find it especially fascinating how diverse the descendants of just one couple can become over the space of a few generations.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others