Author Topic: John ROTTON b c1705 - where?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John ROTTON b c1705 - where?
« on: Monday 08 June 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to help a friend who is looking at a John ROTTON, lived in Duffield in Derbyshire mid 1700s.
We have found that he married Arabella WILMOT in 1729, had at least 5 children all baptised at Duffield, last one in 1739. (her father apparently owned Duffield Park House and Estate which is where John and Arabella lived)
We presume that Arabella died in 1851 (billed in the Duffield burials as Mrs ROTTON)
Remarried in 1756 to Elizabeth Clive (a cousin of Clive of India) had two more daughters and continued to live in Duffield till his death in 1869 .

Have a lot of info about him after his first marriage, he was very well off had various business interests, property etc.
His will dated 1769 mentions a brother, Ambrose ROTTON, who appears to have been born c 1704.
What we don't know is when and where John ROTTON was born and who his parents were.

We have no idea if he was born in Derbyshire or elsewhere, have tried the usual places and not found anything likely so far  His will also mentions "my estate at Norbroom in the Parish of Aymstree (?Amestrey?) in the County of Hereford" and some online trees have that as his birthplace but no sources quoted other than 'ancestry trees' - plus a lot of the trees have wife 1 dying in 1751 and then marrying him in 1756 which is questionable to say the least so I am wary of the accuracy of the info.

If anyone is at a loose end and can find anything about his birth I'd be very interested in any straw to clutch at.

Thanks

Boo

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John ROTTON b c1705 - where?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 June 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Find My Past has one baptism for a John Rotton.  Baptised on 27 February 1701 at Bushbury, Staffordshire, father given as Thomas Rotton.

This is a transciption, no image available on FindMyPast.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Girl Guide

I'll offer that one up to see what my friend thinks, but as there is no sign of a corresponding baptism for his brother Ambrose its difficult to judge if it may be the right one or not.

I'll keep looking through any wills as I can find hoping that their Dad may have named them in a will :-)

Boo

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
The National Archives have a copy of a Grant of Administration of the estate of Roger Rotton of Harborne (Birmingham) to Ambrose Rotton, brother of Robert Rotton deceased, who was the executor of the will of the said Roger.
It's dated 1706 so obviously not your Ambrose, but the name is so unusual that there surely must be a family connection.
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks bevj

There seems to be a fair few Rotton wills in the Staffordshire and Warwickshire area ( can see them on FindMyPast). I've looked at all the ones which have ball park dates to possibly be the father/mother of John and Ambrose, so far drawing a blank.

When the archives re-open my friend can spend some time there and see if there's anything that may give some clues.

Boo

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
AMBROS Rotten Bapt 22 May 1693 St Laurence, Northfield, Worcestershire
Father ROBERT
Siblings;
ROBERT 18 Dec 1688
JOHN 01 Apr 1691
RICHARD 19 Nov 1695, Father Mr Rob
THO 07 Oct 1701 ( Rob/Susana*)
+
ELIZABETH 11 Oct 1709 to Robert/Eliz (possibly child of R 1688?)

22 May 1683 Marriage of Robert ROTTEN to Susanna PRITCHET

Possible Marriage 06 May 1729, St Johns Chapel, Birmingham
Ambrose ROTTON to Mary THOMAS
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I'll put that in the possibles box, am waiting for a reply from my frid to find out what, if anything he has for Ambrose

Boo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Arabella Wilmot's side (from Robert Wyllymot arriving Derby about 1539) is well documented in R Johnson's "The Baronetage of England; ....., Appendix Vol 3" published 1771 but only the simplest of mentions of John Rotton

"...; and Arabella, married to Mr John Rotton, of Duffield, aforesaid, ..."

"The Birmingham Directory; Or, Merchant and Tradesman's useful companion; ...", published 1777
Rotton, Ambrose, Cutler, 23 Worcester Street

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks hanes teulu

I have the marriage bond for John and Arabella

I have now found a highly likely marriage bond in 1741 for Ambrose Rotton, of the Town and Parish of Duffield in the County of Derby, bachelor aged 37 years, Gentleman and Anne Brownell of the Parish of All Saints, Derby in the said County of Derby Spinster aged 37 years

So a birth date of c 1704 for John's brother Ambrose looks right (within the usual limits of who was fibbing about their age and by how much!)

Will wait now perhaps when Herefordshire archives open they may have some info about this Norbroom Estate in Aymestry who owned it etc

Boo