Author Topic: Tasmania- Death of Francis Gilbert  (Read 309 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania- Death of Francis Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 03:59 BST (UK) »
Francis GILBERT, (found by Dundee, convicted in Victoria under forename 'Duncan') travelled on the Layton which departed 9th July, 1839, arriving VDL 7th December, 1839.  He had been convicted at Glascow(sic) Courts Martial, sentenced to 7 years transportation.
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/gilbert/francis/53031

From: UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849
Francis Gilbert, 25,
crime: desertion, tried at Glasgow Barracks, 3 Sep 1838, trade: weaver and soldier
Received to Prison Hulk Justitia (moored at Woolwich) from Nairn, 19 November 1838

According to New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849 his trial was in 1838 at Glasgow and by the 1846 ledger of these records he had a 'Free Certificate'. Another convict record gives the date of his trial as 13 September, 1838. on this second record there is an addition in the 'where and when convicted' column which says 'Longford, P O, 10 November 1840"

Alphabetical convict conduct registers - Northern Tasmania, 1822-1844
Francis GILBERT, per Layton, 20 June 1844, TL, Common assault, Twelve calendar months hard labour and deprived of his Ticket of Leave.

An on-line tree suggests that this is the same man born 30 Apr 1813 Fetteresso, Kincardineshire, Scotland,  However there's no reference cited for this.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help guys! Been incredibly helpful.

Matthew- Thank you, I think I shall go with my gut that the death of Francis Gilbert in 1863 is my man, plus with being convicted in 1855 in Victoria with common assault, I think it safe to say it is him!

Debra- Thank you. I love this guy, he is such a rouge!

Shume- Thank you for you help. The attachment you sent has definitely helped with deciphering his conduct record (as I have been finding it very difficult to read!).

Judith- Thank you for all this information, you have been a great help! Just a few questions, however, the sources for the following, where did you find these (I would like to view them as well)?

1) Source for Francis Gilbert being found by Dundee under the name 'Duncan'?
2) Source for UK Prison Hulk etc?
3) Source for NSW and Tasmania Convict Musters etc?   
4) Alphabetical convict conduct registers etc.

Thanks again guys, stay safe!

Darren

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 01:18 BST (UK) »
Darren

The source for the Victorian conviction for Daniel GILBERT, and his record identifying him as Francis GILBERT per Layton was here on Rootschat from Dundee, Reply #7

I gave a reference for some convict records
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/gilbert/francis/53031

The other records are on Ancestry, and are images of the actual documents.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk