Author Topic: Could this be my missing Rachel?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Could this be my missing Rachel?
« on: Monday 08 June 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
For years I have been searching for the specific individual who is my 3xgreat grandmother.

All I knew about her initially is that she is mentioned as the mother on a baptism of William Vintin on 14 Oct 1804 in Orpington, Kent although indications are that he was actually born in 1798. His father is given as William Vintin, although this is variously spelled as Vinten/Vinton (Winton/Winten) in records.

There seems to be the birth of other siblings to William & Rachel Vinten; James bp 14 Oct 1804 Orpington (with the above William), George bp 15 March 1807 Orpington from whom I trace my descent, Mary Ann 1808 Orpington and Harriott bp 13 May 1810 Orpington.

Nothing else was known about Rachel other than her appearance as Rachael Winton in the 1841 census HO107/483/10/14 as a 58 year old female servant in Keston Kent presumably with her husband William and daughter Harriott.

There is also an 1847 death of Rachael Vinton in the Union Workhouse at Southwark where she had been admitted prior to death and a subsequent burial in Southwark.

A marriage for Rachael & William has always escaped me but just browsing on familysearch the other day and excluding any surnames I came across the marriage of a William Willen to Rachel Vollings on 14 Nov 1794 in Chislehurst, Kent and wondered if it was worth following up although both surnames seemed a bit odd to me.

There is a baptism of a Rachel Vollins on 17 May 1775 in Orpington to an Edward and Elizabeth Vollins - right time & right place.

There are 13 ancestry trees with this Rachel Vollins in and nobody knows anything about her other than this baptism.  I cannot find any deaths in the locale for a Rachel Willen neither can I find any children baptised to a William & Rachel Willen locally either. 

Could William Willen be William Vinten and could this be my Rachael?  Is there any more evidence I can gather before I accept her as my 3rd great grandmother?  Maybe she emigrated but I ca't find any evidence of that either.

Help please,  Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be my missing Rachel?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
If anybody has access to the original Chislehurst marriage register I would be grateful for a lookup of the 1794 marriage between William & Rachel just to see if there is a possibility of a mistranscription of the surname(s).

Thanks, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
If anybody has access to the original Chislehurst marriage register I would be grateful for a lookup of the 1794 marriage between William & Rachel just to see if there is a possibility of a mistranscription of the surname(s).

Thanks, Pheno

What's the familysearch url?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
Is this what you mean Pauline?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKNY-5ZN

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, so you look at the page.

Images Available
To view these images do one of the following:
Access the site at a family history center
Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library

So it would appear that noone can access it until after lockdown, when you would be able to access the  Chislehurst, St Nicholas, images yourself.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
Oh ok thanks.  I was just wondering really whether anybody had either online access or to a CD of the St. Nicholas marriages they could consult.

Regards, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline poppyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think it is your Rachel.  I descend from John Vollins, brother of Rachel Vollins, and have many DNA matches with Vinton descendants.  My DNA test is on Ancestry. 
John Vollins married Anne Heather.  I have a reasonable amount of information on the Vollins/Vollins family. 
Cheers