Author Topic: Kent (Margate) Newspaper - James & Caroline Bates - 1923 - Completed  (Read 468 times)

Offline Caroline Chettleburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am researching my Great Great Uncle & Aunt, James and Ellen Bates from Hammersmith, London.

I have just discovered that James and his wife both died on the same day (21 March 1923)in Palm Bay Margate. This fact makes me wonder if an accident had happened to the both of them.

James owned a butchers shop in Hammersmith and was very well off (his probate record mentions he left £127,000 which in today's money is over 1 million) I don't know if he owned a property in Palm Bay (I'd love to find out, but don't know how) of if he was just there on a holiday (though I think March is a bit early for a holiday)

I would love to know if there is anyone who could find out if there is any mention of a fatal accident in Palm Bay on 21 March 1923 in any of the newspapers of the time, or any mention of a husband and wife dying at the same time as I'm it would have made a news story as so unsusual.

James would have been about 55 and Ellen about 54

Many thanks.
Caroline

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Kent (Margate) Newspaper - James & Caroline Bates - 1923
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline and welcome to Rootschat  :)

It's a sad story I'm afraid. 

A newspaper report of the inquest states that James Bates (55) master butcher of 23 Brunswick Terrace, Hove committed suicide by drowning in Walpole Bay, Margate.  There is no mention of his wife but his son Mr. S Bates, who was staying with him in Margate, gave evidence at the inquest.  His son stated that his father had been staying in Margate for the benefit of his health, he had been suffering from nervous trouble due the pressure of business and overwork.  He had once before tried to take his own life.

Thanet Advertiser 24 March 1923.

I will see if I can find anything about his wife
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
More detail.  A sad story

RAN OUT TO SEA. THANET VISITOR’S SUICIDE An inquest was held at Margate on Thursday concerning the death of James Bates, 55, a master butcher, of 23, Brunswick Terrace, Hove, who was found drowned in Walpole Bay on Wednesday morning. It appears that deceased had been staying in Margate on account of his health. was a master butcher by trade and carried business several places in London. His son, Mr. 8. Bates, had been staying with him, and at the inquest stated that his father had been suffering from nervous trouble, and had to be carefully watched. On the morning of the tragedy he missed his father from their lodgings and on going out to search for him found that a body had just been recovered from Walpole Bay, and made the giuesome discovery that it was that his father. A spectator of the sad incident, Mr. H. J. Field, while at work near Walpole Bay at 9.20 a.m., saw a man running over the rocks toward* the sea. Before Mr. Field could get to him he had entered the water and was about 300 yards from the shore. In response to an argent telephone message from Mr. Field. P.C. Crew chartered a fast motor boat and hastened full speed to the scene. On arrival the body was found floating on the water, and kmg and earnest attempts at artificial respiration failed. P.C. Crew was assisted' in his attempts at resuscitation by Messrs. Walton and Garron, two members of the Margate Ambulance Corps, and the motor boat “The Ocean Queen” —belonging to Messrs. P. Walker and T. Estrance, who rendered great assistance in recovering the body from the water. The Coroner, Mr. C. C. Maughan, returned verdict of Suicide during Temporary Insanity.

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald.  31st March 1923
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Igor for posting the full report  ;)

Caroline, are you sure his wife Ellen died on the same day?  There is a probate record for Ellen Bates, widow, of 98 Elers Road, West Ealing, Middlesex who died on 15th Feb 1926.  Probate to Sidney Thomas Bates, butcher.  Probate for James was also to Sidney Thomas Bates, butcher.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can't see any reference to poor James's wife in the Margate papers of the time - could she have died at a later date?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
There's a record on FindAGrave for Ellen

Ellen Bates
Birth Date     1866
Death Date    15/02/1926
Cemetery     Hammersmith Old Cemetery
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
I was just looking at that Igor.  The way the wording on the gravestone is set out it does at first glance appear that Ellen died on 21 March 1923, but that date actually refers to her husband.  Her death date is at the bottom of the stone 15 Feb 1926.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for those reports. It is indeed a sad story.

The date on the headstone under Ellen's name is 21 March 1923. Though looking at it again, I wonder if it is actually James's date? As this confused me when I started to look into their history, as I had always had 15 Feb as her death date, but when I found a photo of their headstone, it had the March date under her name. I will attached a photo (when I work out how!)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
Ahh, Thank you Jool, you posted as I was replying!