Author Topic: Gt grandfather in Kendal ???  (Read 1425 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gt grandfather in Kendal ???
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
William Ryan age 50 in 1861 on More/Moore Street (same as proposed son)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7FJ-9XV

I appreciate you want a Kendal connection in 1891, but you are assuming she eloped from there, not that she was in Bradford for whatever reason and met him there.

Or that he was visiting Kendal after 1891 census, and took her back with him.

Why pick Bradford to elope to, otherwise?

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Chempat, The eloping was just another theory that I had not looked into because of the lack of any information in the Bradford area where both Patrick and Mary were living immediately prior to their marriage. Also because of the unexplained circumstances why my granddad was abandoned to an orphanage, something drastic happened, for both parents to totally reject their child and move away. You make some good logical points but nothing seems to be logical so far. I managed to look up the 1861 census from your link, Patrick appears to be 14 years older than reported on his Marriage cert and I don't understand how he and his father are both head of household.
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
If we look at that household of William, Margaret and Charlotte in 1861, the only baptism for a Charlotte that I can see is of Charlotte Ryan born in Dublin in 1848, parents William and Mary (not Margaret)

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?namefm=charlotte+&namel=ryan&location=&yyfrom=1845&yyto=1852&submit=Search

As William is recorded as Wm, there is the possibility that Margaret has been recorded as Marg.

Have you checked out Irish records?

Have you also investigated records of William in the orphanage - circumstances of entry?

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Chempat, Granddad was abused and mistreated in a RC orphanage so much that he hated catholicism with a vengeance and changed to C of E as soon as he could. I searched extensively for records of old RC orphanages in the areas including a very unhelpful RC archive in Leeds without any results. I'll definitely follow up the Dublin baptism and I have a 3rd cousin in Dublin who will help if I need her.
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal