Author Topic: Loughlinstown Workhouse  (Read 2348 times)

Offline reigns1989

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loughlinstown Workhouse
« on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I apologise in advance if this is a daft question or has been asked before... but i've searched and can't find anything thus far.

My great great grandmother Kate Carr had three children in Loughlinstown workhouse, one of which William Alfred Carr - my great grandfather.

I'm attempting to find out who their father was.  My surname is Carr and it came from Kate's side of the family as the father is listed as unknown.  I'm very intrigued to know what my family name would have been in a 'normal' situation where the father was known.

However I have heard stories that the man who was the father of the children was potentially the man she married, John Butler.  I've also heard that the man that was the father of William was the man that ran the Loughlinstown Workhouse.

My question is, is there a way to find out who was running or working at the workhouse at the time of William being born, to try and see if there's any link to the family tree i've already got.  Perhaps it was John Butler, or he had some dealings with running it - but i don't know how to check this for sure.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loughlinstown Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
That would be the Rathdown Union Workhouse.
See: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Rathdown/

It states at the bottom of that page that any records will be at the National Archives of Ireland.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
The master of Rathdown Union and Workhouse at the time William was born (March 1901) was Sylvester Byrne, he is shown on the 1901 census in the same townland as the workhouse.   

Offline reigns1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thankyou!

Offline OBrien1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it helps you out, I have got my great great Grandfather admission records to Rathdown union workhouse on Find My Past.
Shows the dates and what he was admitted with and then unfortunately his death and the cause of death.
O'Brien
Murtagh
Kavanagh
Kennedy
McGuinness
Pomeroy
Gahan
Nolan
Doyle

Offline reigns1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the delayed response on this, i stopped looking for a while but am now actively researching.

I've the birth record from Loughlinstown workhouse and the father isn't recorded for William Alfred.

There must have been someone who knew who it was, but whether that was passed on to anyone i'm not sure.

If anyone has any other ideas on how i might be able to find out i'd still greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes the baptism may name the errant father?
Some clerics/priests liked to "name & shame" ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline reigns1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad thanks for the suggestion - hadn't actually checked those.

Unfortunately it looks like him, his brother and his sister were not baptised for some reason, or i can't find the records at least.

I may have to revert to ancestryDNA myself and see if i can get anything that way - but it seems a bit of a dead end.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
The baptism records online generally cut off in the late 1800s so you would probably have to check directly with the appropriate parish.