Author Topic: Genetic Affairs banned from accessing Ancestry data  (Read 1121 times)

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Genetic Affairs banned from accessing Ancestry data
« on: Tuesday 09 June 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
I don't know how many of you use the Genetic Affairs site to produce clusters but it seems you won't be doing it using Ancestry data any more... https://geneticaffairs.com/ancestry.html

Seems a bit short-sighted of Ancestry when they don't really offer a comparable tool.

R.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Affairs banned from accessing Ancestry data
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
Be interesting to get Ancestry's take on this ……..
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 15:56 BST (UK) »

Be interesting to get Ancestry's take on this …

Possibly money ;D

FTDNA & My Heritage still OK though!

Kim

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
It may have some thing to do with law enforcement agencies trying to find suspects using DNA and genealogy sites. There is some dispute about whether members of the various sites have given their agreement to their DNA being used in such a manner. I am not saying that is what has happened but it is a possible reason.

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
So here's the answer that someone else got: (as seen on the GA Facebook page)

By giving your Ancestry password to another company, you are allowing that company to access Ancestry systems. That company may not be following our Privacy Statement, Terms and Conditions or Community Rules and may be engaging in improper or even illegal behavior.

Third party DNA matching services are not affiliated with Ancestry. Some of these companies encouraged Ancestry customers to provide their Ancestry login credentials to them (which violates Ancestry’s Terms and Community Rules). They then use those login credentials to access Ancestry’s site and download information, in violation of Ancestry’s terms. This was negatively impacting Ancestry’s site, causing it to operate more slowly and to hang or crash. You may have experienced that. In addition, for privacy reasons, Ancestry does not allow downloading of genetic match data because it includes information on other Ancestry users. Ancestry customers should access and work with their Ancestry DNA matches on the Ancestry site.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
And I never even got around to using it ::). I think someone mentioned a more 'manual' way of doing this, using another tool, or set of tools and spreadsheets, but that actually works out better than what GA was capable of, can anyone remind me of this technique?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
And I never even got around to using it ::). I think someone mentioned a more 'manual' way of doing this, using another tool, or set of tools and spreadsheets, but that actually works out better than what GA was capable of, can anyone remind me of this technique?
Found it, I think it was squawki11 who recommended them to me a while ago, it is the Shared Clustering and DNAGedcom programmes that are alternatives
https://www.dnagedcom.com/
https://blog.genomelink.io/posts/dnagedcom-what-it-is-and-how-to-use-it

https://github.com/jonathanbrecher/sharedclustering/wiki
https://segmentology.org/2019/11/29/shared-clustering-a-great-tool/

A suggestion - for Clustering use DNAGedcom or Shared Clustering. MH Clusters are a waste of time imo due to their restrictive input. Either of the above will give you a better start with looking at clusters. They are not a magic bullet. Shared Clustering has extensive help files on GitHub from where Jonathan Brecher's program can be downloaded. Both DNAGedcom and SC have Facebook groups. DNA Gedcom can use match/icw info from most sources whereas SC is restricted to Ancestry. As ever the more extensive your tree the more useful you will find clustering. As you work through/contact your shared matches it would be a good idea to invite those unlinked to link, please!

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
But presumably these wont be able to use Ancestry either if it requires tree owners to give password data.  This seems to be the crux of the matter.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
But presumably these wont be able to use Ancestry either if it requires tree owners to give password data.  This seems to be the crux of the matter.

Pheno
I am not sure they can tell as they just access from your own ip address and probably spoof a browser, whereas, genetic affairs always accessed from the same ip. Also with SC, you are not giving your password data to anyone (other than the way you would put your username and password into a browser).

EDIT: downloading is currently not possible with SC, but that is apparently to do with the fact Ancestry changed their website in May, hopefully the program maker will update it to be compatible.