Author Topic: Genetic Affairs banned from accessing Ancestry data  (Read 694 times)

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Affairs banned from accessing Ancestry data
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Apparently the developer of Genetic Affairs is working on a different way of processing Ancestry matches. I think it involves the individual pulling all the match data from Ancestry using a browser plugin, saving it as a csv file and then sending that to GA. As he points out, this will actually increase the load on the Ancestry servers...
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Apparently the developer of Genetic Affairs is working on a different way of processing Ancestry matches. I think it involves the individual pulling all the match data from Ancestry using a browser plugin, saving it as a csv file and then sending that to GA. As he points out, this will actually increase the load on the Ancestry servers...

Not necessarily. I think a lot if people will just think what a faff and not bother. It would be good if Ancestry got round to putting a chromosome browser on their site before people give up on them.

Meanwhile I think the explanation they gave as to why they had taken the action they had is reasonable and I support it. Thanks for posting it.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Maybe Ancestry have developed their own version and intend to charge a second tier subscription to use it?
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 June 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Maybe Ancestry have developed their own version and intend to charge a second tier subscription to use it?
I think there would be a lot less demand for it if Ancestry allowed people to select their own centimorgan cutoff for shared matches (rather than fixed at 20 cM or more at the moment).

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Ancestry introducing a chromosome browser, would be sensational and a game changer. However I don't see that happening. There has been pressure on them for a few years for this and they have resisted so far. I dont see them giving in now. However if they do I would be very happy ;D.

The ability to choose your own centimorgan cut off would of course be very helpful.

I dont know the reason they are so anti a browser (FTDNA & My Heritage have done it, as of course does Gedmatch - I have not seen 23& me to say whether they have one).  However I am sure it is basically financial.  I think it would make them loose control of our ability to investigate our own family history, instead of using the tools they have introduced, and possibly the tools they have in the pipeline to introduce.  Those tools would not seem as inovative to customers and potential customers, if they could 'do it themselves' using other techniques and a CB.  Thats my take on it, and why I don't see them changing their mind.  They are a multimillion making global organisation, and they want to keep the stream of new customers coming, as long as they can as well as holding on to current customers too.  Having said that I think there will come a time when especially in their home country, they will have saturated the market, and will not be able to recruit customers in the same numbers!

By the way I am an ancestry customer, for all the usual reasons - their database is far better than any of the others and they have twice if not three times the number of customers - and that leads to potential matches for you and me!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry