Author Topic: Exciting discovery - clean if possible? Morris William Pay and Mabel Emily Wade  (Read 1448 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Very exciting moment this morning when a distant cousin, posting various pictures on FB, came up with one which I'd never seen before but which I instantly recognised as a wedding photo of my Grandfather and Grandmother, Morris William Pay and Mabel Emily Wade on 25th September 1911

I can recognise a number of the faces - although, irritatingly, they've not quite sat in the positions you might expect (bride's parents one side, groom's parents the other), and there are lots of younger relatives who I will have to search for through the siblings on the tree.

My great grandfather John James Pay (father of the groom), who has featured here before in his guise of Metropolitan Policeman is standing far right in the light suit.  His wife, Victoria Adelaide Cork Barham Pay is standing third lady from the left, next to the shed.

The older gentleman next to the bride is, I think, my greatx2 grandfather James Pay (1839-1932).

I am guessing that the mother of the bride, Charlotte Barwell Wade, is the lady in the dark dress seated on the left of the row with the bride and groom in it.  But who is the father of the bride?

Can anyone help with a bit of a clean for me?  The back row will be beyond recall I expect, but anything anyone can do much appreciated.

Wonderful hats as usual, and I always like the bit of garden shed you can see in the background of photos like these.  Greenwich in London, I think.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting discovery - clean if possible? Morris William Pay and Mabel Emily Wade
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting discovery - clean if possible? Morris William Pay and Mabel Emily Wade
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 11:05 BST (UK) »

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
I suppose that if the brides father was still around, its not inconceivable that it was he who took the photo....

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
I've cleared the top right of blotches and will try harder to bring the faded top row guys into focus but will avoid facial reconstruction as much as possible, then, some Colour, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
One with a tint
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for these magnificent improvements, Peter, Japeflakes, Handypandy, Ian and Pat!

My relatives emerging from the murk!  Fantastic to see.  :)

Ian, I think it's unlikely my great grandfather William Thomas Wade, father of the bride, took the photo - just because I don't believe he was an experienced (even amateur) photographer.  He was a baker all his life, and a street sweeper in the 1911.

I am in two minds about the bearded gentleman sitting next to the bride.  He reminds me very much of my brother.

My previous identification of James Pay, grandfather of the groom, is a possibility.  I don't have any contemporaneous photos of him - just one in 1890, one in c 1915-20, and one as an old man.  All attached.

He had a beard, but it's the sort of one which is full face - ie starts with your sideburns and continues over your cheeks to your chin/moustache.    Whereas the gentleman in the photo next to the bride either has a goatee type of beard, or very much less bushy cheek whiskers.

Your views on whether the man in the photo is the same as the attached is much appreciated.
It may be too difficult to see - I appreciate the mystery wedding man is very blurred - are his ears set lower than James Pay's?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Igor...No wonder you are excited with sch a large group of relatives. Here is my version.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU