Author Topic: Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell  (Read 629 times)

Offline NewWorl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell
« on: Wednesday 10 June 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!  I’m searching for any records of a Thomas Lea, born about 1862 in Ince Blundell near Liverpool or a neighbouring village, before 1892.  I’m having a lot of trouble finding any records about him before then, as any records I’ve procured have been about a different Thomas Lea, born in Ormskirk (the neighbouring village) around the same time.

The only evidence I have for him being illegitimate was him drawing a line on his marriage record for his father, the priest putting a mark next to the marriage record as well, and an old family legend that he was the son of a Blundell and a serving girl. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of records I could use to find out more?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can you let us know where you have him after 1892 (in terms of marriage, censuses, etc)?
All the info from his marriage, also - witnesses can be a great clue to birth family.

Was he still living in 1939? Knowing his birthday can help confirm whether earlier birth records are the right person, so finding him in the 1939 register could really help.

A possible line of inquiry:

There is a Thomas Blundell, aged 20, born Ince Blundell in 1881, living in the household of his aunt Elizabeth Lea:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-KM7K

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBNN-Q1L
In 1871 Elizabeth she is with her parents Thomas and Ann Lea

And in 1861, there is an infant Thomas Lea with this family
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7YQ-1CC
As well as Elizabeth, they have a daughter Mary who could be the mother of this Thomas

There was a Thomas Lea, born West Derby district, Jun 1860 quarter, 8b/361 - illegitimate as no mother's maiden name - could this be

Mary Lea may have married Laurence Blundell in 1862 - it appears there is a Thomas, aged 10, with them in 1871 but not in 1881, where Laurence is widowed.

Perhaps he was born Lea, but raised in the household of Laurence and Mary Blundell, at least until Mary's passing? It's not uncommon in this case to find the child raised under the stepfather/(possible birth father)'s name. He may have reverted to Lea as an adult as that was the name on his birth certificate.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
There is a copy record of the baptism register for Holy Family RC Church Ince Blundell in Crosby library. I presume he was RC as it was a RC village. When the libraries reopen I will have a look at the register for you.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
Ince Blundell was in West Derby registration district so this apparently illegitimate birth is a possibility:

LEA, THOMAS       (no mother's maiden name)   
GRO Reference: 1860  J Quarter in WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 361

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NewWorl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, thanks for all your help!  I'll respond to each post in chronological order.

1. Jorose, in 1892 he married Jane Atkinson in Eccleston, that's where I got the idea for him being illegitimate.  After that, in the censuses at least, he continued to live in Eccleston and had at least five children.   I don't know whether he was living in 1939, as my Grandad had no contact with him and so didn't know when he died.  The sources you've found for me are very useful, and I believe that he was raised as a Blundell before switching back to being a Lea.

2. If you can get to the library to look at this, that would be extremely useful.  I know it may not mention the Father's name, but I'm trying to explore all his records to try and find out more.

3. Thanks for the index! I'll add it to my family tree.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 20 03:43 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRWS-5QR
 - parish record of marriage very interesting!

It almost looks to me like under the cross-out (just above the name of Jane's father) somebody has written "Mary Lea", the name of his potential mother...

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 05:31 BST (UK) »
I think your right jorose.
I just had a look and it says  "Mary Lea" then crossed out. BSC  is just outside the certificate in Line with the crossed out name. Could they stand for B.S. Clarke.

Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
I will look at the parish register when the library reopens but have no idea when that will happen!

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 23:00 BST (UK) »
Click on the link in jorose's post and you will see the certificate. It is in Family Search. Just sign in for a free account and you will see it.

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.