Author Topic: Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell  (Read 628 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 20 06:39 BST (UK) »
Two of the villages within the parish boundary contributed one third of the Catholic sub-total in the St Helen’s Burials Register; 159 interments were of Catholics from Ince Blundell compared with 15 Anglican burials from the same village, while comparative figures for Little Crosby were 77 Catholic versus 1 C.of.E burial.........from Lancashire Online Parish site

on Lancsbmd - Thomas Lea 1860 - Great Crosby - South Sefton - no mmn

I am just asking that with Ince Blundel looking to have 95% of inhabitants being Roman Catholic - would Thomas Lea marry Jane in an Anglican Protestant church ?   do we KNOW it is the same Thomas Lea - or are we presuming ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline NewWorl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for records of a illegitimate son in Ince Blundell
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 June 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
I know it’s the same, because my Grandfathers dad was definitely called Joseph Lea and he and his siblings, who my grandfather can name, appear in the 1901 and 1911 census with the mother being named as Jane.  My grandad knew Thomas Lea was illegitimate, and the 1892 marriage record fits with the census records birth place for Jane.  Also, fits my family legend.

Another thing, I’ve been unable to find any church records for my great grandad or his siblings, birth or marriage or even death.  Either the records haven’t been translated yet, or they weren’t religious in the slightest.

Edit: Just looked back now, and it turns out Mary Lea’s family were Church of England, her father and mother married in a Church of England in Sefton.  Could be they were Church of England and passed that down to Thomas Lea.