Author Topic: Yourston / Yorston  (Read 901 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yourston / Yorston
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 June 20 09:06 BST (UK) »
For info only re the 1851 census re Mary. She is the niece of Margaret Rankin nee' Younghusband (sister to Mary Younghusband/McGinnis/Yorston) who married William Rankin 3.6.1821 St Peter's Liverpool.

John

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
When Robert Jnr marries on the 24th May 1854 his occupation is recorded as "Mariner". Could he be at sea for the 1851 census?

John

That`s possible , The youngest son William was in the Blue Coat School in Liverpool  in 1851.
 I see there is a connection with mariners from that school, but there is little about it in the 19th c.
I wonder would  he have been there as his father was paying, or was it a charity school.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople record 3 Robert Yorston births for 1796 Firth & Stenness,/1798 Yester/1799 Kirkwell, roughly matching the 1841 death.

We have no census evidence of Robert Snrs age or where he was born and as we all know trees on Anc* can be incorrect/misleading. Strange we cannot find him on 1841 or any census after this date. The Robert on the tree can be traced as being married to someone else on census and living in Scotland.

John

It is a problem, I`ve tried to find a remarriage for Robert, but so far found none that fits.
I found another tree,  and they can`t find him either. I think I`ll call it a day on this one.
Thanks.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 June 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's very frustrating this post. I too had an ancestor who at an early age lost both parents and ended up a a school like William's and he went on to become a mariner. I've struggled to find births/baptisms for Mary and her sister Margaret. However I know you are shutting up shop with this but one final note. James Rankin c1827 is with who I believe to be his grandparents William & Mary Younghusband in 1841 census ref HO107 565 5 3 in Liverpool. I suspect Mary whilst baptised in Bolton was born in Liverpool as her sister Margaret.

Keep well,

John

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it doesn't really help when the name is often mistranscibed .