Author Topic: Hotel in Boston  (Read 2564 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hotel in Boston
« on: Wednesday 10 June 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the name of a hotel in Lincs , most likely Boston in the late 1930's and 1940's.
The owner was Frank Trenery who died in 1941/2  ,his wife was running it in 1945.

Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction as to where I might look please ?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel in Boston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
If I have the right Frank, his death notice was posted in the Northampton Mercury on 10 July 1942.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you spidermonkey that is him.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Ok, there is something a bit hinky about this then!  On the marriage cert, his wife's name is recorded as Florence, but on all subsequent information that I can find her name is given as Phyllis.

in 1947, Phyllis is living in Gautby - if you have a Find My Past subs then you should be able to find an article in the Skegness Standard (9th July 1947) when Phyllis was conned out of some money.

Still no reference to a hotel/pub that I can find.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Yes we were surprised too as she was only known as Phyllis but she was born Florence.
I don't have any subs. I have been told she was swindled out of money it was thought to be connected with the hotel.
I am trying to help a member of her family.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
I remember Trenery the timber merchants situated on Boston Dock, but have no knowledge of them being involved in a hotel.Do you have any futher information regarding which hotel it was, as there were not many in Boston in that era. Plenty of pubs which designated themselves as hotels.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
I remember Trenery the timber merchants situated on Boston Dock, but have no knowledge of them being involved in a hotel.Do you have any futher information regarding which hotel it was, as there were not many in Boston in that era. Plenty of pubs which designated themselves as hotels.

Hi Roger , unfortunately I have no more information. Like you I am also wondering if it was a pub .
The only actual hotel that I remember is the White Hart.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Have you tried a copy of one of the guides which were published for a considerable period? Just forget what they are called. Street directories perhaps. I think there were a few more hotels than the White Hart, it is certainly not that one. Others which spring to mind are the Peacock and Royal;Red Lion on Strait Bargate, pulled down for a Woolworth's shop, and I think it was the Brown Cow on Wide Bargate.The White Hart though is the most prominent.Many of the pubs, like the Station Hotel did have a few rooms available.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
Did he leave a will?