Author Topic: Tasmanian Ancestors- not having much luck!  (Read 1418 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Tasmanian Ancestors- not having much luck!
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
Good morning Rootschatters,

I am in search for an ancestor's parents, who I believe resided in Tasmania, but I am not having any luck!
I am unfamiliar with Tasmanian ancestry databases and from what I can see, there is not much to go on.
I am hoping someone may have a bit more knowledge on how to navigate these resources and point me in the right direction.

Ancestor: Maria KING nee EVERETT
Married James KING on the 8th of April 1839 in Hobart, Tasmania.
Had 4 children in Tasmania, Louisa (1842), William (1843), Emily and Henry John Richard (1845).
Arrived in Port Phillip, NSW in 1846, in which info states she was born in VDL (Van Diemen's Land- Tasmania).
She and her husband had quite a few more children in Victoria.

She died in Melbourne in 1879 aged 54, which gives an est. d.o.b of 1825. The death index on Ancestry lists her parents as a William EVERETT and Maria.

I would like to find out more about where her parents came from and how they arrived in Tasmania, but can't find anything conclusive.

Thanks for your time Rootschatters,
EB

Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmanian Ancestors- not having much luck!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
Good morning Rootschatters,

I am in search for an ancestor's parents, who I believe resided in Tasmania, but I am not having any luck!
I am unfamiliar with Tasmanian ancestry databases and from what I can see, there is not much to go on.
I am hoping someone may have a bit more knowledge on how to navigate these resources and point me in the right direction.

Ancestor: Maria KING nee EVERETT
Married James KING on the 8th of April 1839 in Hobart, Tasmania.
Had 4 children in Tasmania, Louisa (1842), William (1843), Emily and Henry John Richard (1845).
Arrived in Port Phillip, NSW in 1846, in which info states she was born in VDL (Van Diemen's Land- Tasmania).
She and her husband had quite a few more children in Victoria.

She died in Melbourne in 1879 aged 54, which gives an est. d.o.b of 1825. The death index on Ancestry lists her parents as a William EVERETT and Maria.

I would like to find out more about where her parents came from and how they arrived in Tasmania, but can't find anything conclusive.

Thanks for your time Rootschatters,
EB

Hi there, EB  :)

Have you tried RChat's Tasmania Resources Board ?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369953.0

Yes, the Tasmanian BDM records can at times have scant info about the family history of the person of interest, but  here is a live link to the marriage of Maria EVERETT in  1839.  https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-1p18j2k   You will notice Maria was aged 16, when she married James KING, so born about 1823-4, which closely matches up to the 1854 death in Vic BDM that you mention.  Do you have a copy of that death cert?  If so, perhaps you can type up the info from it and share with the RChatters that are familiar with both Vic and Tas searchings.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM!

Oh wow! I had no idea that resource existed, how wonderful!
Unfortunately no parents names though.

I don't have an actual copy of the death cert but from Ancestry's Death Index resource in which it lists her parents as William EVERETT and Maria.
According to this database  portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=P&id=119806 Maria was born in 1823 and according to FindAGrave, she died on the 23rd of June 1879 and was buried in Melbourne General Cemetery.

Wondering if she was born in Tassie, that there would be a baptism/birth register for the 1820s with parents names on it.

I'll have to try the Tassie Resources Board!

EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
The free to search online index of Victoria's deaths has
Maria KING's death at age 54, and registration as ref 4679/1879
It includes 'Place of Birth" and lists that as Liverpool.
It has her parents as Maria (unknown maiden surname) and William EVERETT

Info on VIC BDMs is usually very detailed... See the following thread:
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

NB Liverpool may refer to Liverpool NSW or to the one in the UK.... 

JM   Oops, add the thread now : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Trove  The Age 24 June 1879 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199359979

KING
On the 22nd of June, at her residence, corner of Napier and Rose Streets, Mrs King, late wife of James King of dropsy.  Home papers please copy.

JM

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hmm, that's really interesting.

I think I've gotten myself a bit confused.
She married James KING and had children to him, but on this arrival sheet at Port Phillip she is the wife of William KING https://www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/8821/images/41986_329567-00078?treeid=162685494&personid=262122878038&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=hod900&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&pId=376&backurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.com.au%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3Findiv%3D1%26dbid%3D8821%26h%3D376%26tid%3D162685494%26pid%3D262122878038%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3Dhod900%26_phstart%3Ddefault%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue

Not sure if you can see that link above.  ???

What is interesting is that although the husband's name is different, the children's names are the same, and husband's profession is same as on marriage cert. It says on this resource that Maria was born in VDL (Van Diemen's Land), which is why I assumed she was born in Tassie and looked for records of her birth there.

Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree the whole time, and she came to Aus as a convict, or with her parents who were convicts.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:29 BST (UK) »
KING is one of the more popular surnames in the 19th century colonial era.... how certain are you that that voyage of the David is for your family?   

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:43 BST (UK) »
The vessel is named David,  the vessel's owner was in charge of the voyage...
67 tonnage departed Hobart Town 2 Feb 1846,   arrived Port Phillip 15 Feb 1846, 13 days on the voyage,  and 2 days from 8th Feb at Zeehan (?, I am guessing at that) Island.  Among the passengers :
Wm King, of an unknown native county and country, a Gardener, intending to be a Settler in Victoria
Maria King, of V.D Land, wife, 
Louisa King, 6, of V.D. Land, daughter
Wm King, 4, of VDL, son
Henry King, 9 months, of VDL, son

JM

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 20 02:57 BST (UK) »
I guess I cannot ever be 100% sure.

This is Wm King's death index, place of birth missing. He would have been born in 1843.
Name:   Wm King
Birth Year:   abt 1845
Death Place:   Frankston, Victoria
Father's name:   King Jas
Mother's name:   Maria Everett
Registration Year:   1897
Registration Place:   Victoria
Registration Number:   1501

And Henry King's death index. Place of birth missing. Was born Tassie 1845 before they left.
Name:   Hy King
Birth Year:   abt 1847
Death Place:   Collingwood, Victoria
Father's name:   Jas King
Mother's name:   Maria Everett
Registration Year:   1905
Registration Place:   Victoria
Registration Number:   4974

I guess it's mainly the fact that the children's ages line up with the arrival sheet.
Eg. William b. 1843 is 4 on arrival in 1846 therefore (b.1842/1843)
Henry b. 23 Apr 1845 in 9mos on arrival in Feb 1846 therefore (b. 1845)
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)