Author Topic: Ann Rees born Milford c1806.  (Read 888 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Rees born Milford c1806.
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the parish registers for Steynton, Pembrokeshire for the period c1806?

I am trying to find a baptism for my 3x gt grandmother, Ann Rees. She states she was born Milford in the census. I understand that at that time the baptism would have occurred in Steynton if Anglican, or in a non conformist chapel in Milford. Ann Rees died in 1885 aged 79 which is the most accurate source for her birth year.

I cannot find anything on Freereg. There are trees on Ancestry but I have reason to doubt these are accurate.

Genuki indicates that Dyfed FHS hold some of the non conformist records.

Jo

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Rees born Milford c1806.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
there's no Ann Rees in the Steynton baptisms around that time. In Steynton, there is a James Rees bp 3 Nov 1805 son of James & Lettice and a Mary Rees bp 4 May 1806 daughter of John & Mary.

Non-conformist record for Ann daughter of Isaac & Elizabeth Rees born 3 July 1805 in the parish of St Thomas, Haverfordwest.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/node/27492/countymap

Where and who did she marry? Where is she on census entries?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey.

It gets complicated as Ann Rees moved to Bristol at some point. She had a daughter, Martha, who was baptised in Bitton, Gloucestershire in 1837. The baptism states she was aged 5 at that time. Martha's marriage certificate shows her father to be Robert Rees.

Ann Rees then married Samuel Britton on 10/08/1834, this was at St George, Bristol. They had children in Bitton from 1835 onwards. One daughter (my direct line) was baptised in Bristol in 1839.

In the 1841 and 1851 census returns the family are living in Bitton. Samuel Britton died in the 1850s and Ann remarried to Henry Start in Newport, Monmouthshire, in 1859. In the 1861 census Ann is to be found living in Baneswell Road, Newport but the household is shown as Henry Alport married to Anna age 48, she was shown as born Pembrokeshire, Milford. Henry Start died in Newport in 1867. In the 1871 census Ann Start is living with her daughter, Martha Pring and her family in Newport. In the 1881 census Ann Start is living with one of her daughters, Sarah Came with her husband, William and family. This is in Kensington. Ann Start died in 1885 and her death was registered in Chelsea RD.

There are family connections to Newport and Baneswell Road in particular. I did wonder if she came from there. Ancestry has her baptism as in Bedwas, Monmouth in 1807, D/O Rees Rees and Mary Lewis. I don't think this is correct as there are trees on Ancestry showing her in Bedwas in the 1841 census.

I think I will need to get the marriage certificate to Henry Start to see what that shows. I haven't been able to find it online. No doubt the process of obtaining certificates will be more difficult at the moment.

Jo

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Indeed, your best option would be to get the marriage cert. It's no more difficult, just slower. Order from the GRO as usual.

I don't think that Isaac & Elizabeth are her parents. Isaac left a will which mentions his widowed daughter Mary Bevans but no other daughter. He was a miller and the mill went to his fourth & youngest son Thomas.

I see that on her marriage, Martha has a middle name of Giddings. It's possible that her father was a Robert Giddings.

Do you need the details of John Pring's first marriage to Jane Elizabeth Thackwell? She died june qtr 1856.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is not going to be solved by any other means by the look of it.

I have researched the possibility of Martha's father being named Giddings but cannot find anything to corroborate this so far. It is all a bit odd as there is another baptism in Bristol in 1826 for a Martha Rees, daughter of Ann Rees. I am taking this from memory but think I have it right.

No, I hadn't seen a first marriage for John Pring. It would be helpful to have the details if this is no trouble.

Jo

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
9 Aug 1853 parish church of Magor
John Pring 20 bach labourer Magor father George Pring labourer
Elizabeth Jane Thackwell 22 spin Magor father Joseph Thackwell ship carpenter
witnesses William & Caroline Pillinger, all signed.

John was baptised at St Woolos 18 Nov 1832, son of George Pring, labourer, and Mary of Pill.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 20 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. I hadn't spotted that and from the information it is definitely the same John Pring who married Martha Rees.

Jo