Author Topic: Unknown Woman named Milchia c. 1770s  (Read 843 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Unknown Woman named Milchia c. 1770s
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
I have spent several years tracing the origins of my surname and last year came across a rather unusual name for which I couldn't find out any further information.

Circled in blue are my 6xGreat-Grandparents who were from a long line of family based in South Kelsey, Lincolnshire. On their children's christening records, the mother is always listed as Milchia with some spelling variants such as Mylca or Mylcia.

It seems like such an unusual name, but yet I have been unable to find a record for their marriage (which I would guess dates around 1775), her death/burial or her birth/christening.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could try and track down some more information on her? Could this name have been a shortened or alternative version for another name? I suppose they could have married in a different area - but I can't seem to find anything anywhere else either... I am curious to find out more but have little to go on as it stands!

Many thanks,

Henning

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Woman named Milchia c. 1770s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Henningwalker
the general register for south Kelsey is on lincs to the past there are no walkers married or baptised.  however there used to be an earlier church in the village and the village was divided in two the other church has fallen down but they still do burials in the graveyard.
rayb

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
Milcah was not a rare name in the 18th century - but I can't find a marriage of John WALKER to a Milcah on FreeReg or FamilySearch.

I did find two marriages indexed on FamilySearch 1770-1777 within 25 miles of South Kelsey (according to AA Route Planner) for John to women with initial M:
John WALKER to Mary ROBINSON 3 Mar 1775 Beelsby (12 miles)
John WALKER to Mildred LAMMIN 15 May 1776 Barrow Upon Humber (18 miles)

but I think both of these are unlikely.

Burials seem to be lacking as far as online records go.  I can't see a possible burial in or around South Kelsey.  I wonder if not all the registers have yet been transcribed.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again
the the two churches in south Kelsey were st Nicholas and st mary st Nicholas is still standing on lincs to the past st mary general register is available the baptisms give mothers name as mary
rayb

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the feedback on this thread - I knew there were two churches in South Kelsey, although I wasn't sure of the history with them. Most of my family seem to have been affiliated with St Mary's rather than St. Nicholas.

I did run another a search for name variants on her name and there are a couple of people called Milcah and Milcha who sort of match the age and were born in surrounding areas. I suppose it is possible that one of these is the one I am looking for, but there is nothing conclusive to link them.

I had assumed that all of the records would be online as they have otherwise been quite helpful in putting together the other bits of this tree... I suppose it is possible however that there are some missing or not yet transcribed from around this time.

Many thanks again,

Henning

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again
the the two churches in south Kelsey were st Nicholas and st mary st Nicholas is still standing on lincs to the past st mary general register is available the baptisms give mothers name as mary
rayb

What is the source for these, Ray?

I am puzzled because FamilySearch shows the mother's name as Milca (with variants) but I haven't seen the original parish registers, so I can't tell if a transcriber or tree compiler got the name wrong.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
Baptism images for South Kelsey St Nicholas are available on FindMyPast but only transcriptions for St Mary.

Mildred Laming is interesting because there was a Milchah Laming baptised at Irby on Humber on 16th August 1753.
The image is not very clear but looks correct as does that for Mildred on the marriage.

Irby is 15-17 miles from the other two locations.

David

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello again
the source is the general registers for Kelsey, both original registers are on lincs to the past website which is linked to the archives in Lincoln. If you go onto the site and in the search bar type south Kelsey par 1 it will bring up both registers reading them takes a bit of getting used to as they are in a little square and you have to pull the pages around.
rayb

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again
on find my past it gives Daniel walker son of john april 1715 south Kelsey
on the 3 may 1748 there is Daniel walker marrying mary ashton south Kelsey
have you any idea who transcribed milcha could it be an old lds one they are often repeated through website and in the end are not reliable.
rayb