Author Topic: Mystery woman!  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Hardy8824

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery woman!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
This has confirmed the marriage completely for me now as John lived on Gisburn Road on the marriage certificate and one of their witnesses was Hartley Clark, the other drunk man!

Now to find out when she died! Thanks so much to you and Rosie!

I found it on FindMyPast

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Wonderful find! It's as good to be proved wrong, as proved right, isn't it? - I wondered if the chapel might have been an Inghamite chapel ... they had the reputation of being a little more relaxed, certainly more recently were amongst the first to deal with divorced couples.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Hardy8824

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 June 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorky, the chapel was/is called wheatley lane chapel and was indeed a Inghamite chapel, I don't know much about these? Where Martha and John were living they had a church in spitting distance yet they chose to go to this chapel which was about 4 mile away. That kind of says it all doesn't it?

Wonderful find! It's as good to be proved wrong, as proved right, isn't it? - I wondered if the chapel might have been an Inghamite chapel ... they had the reputation of being a little more relaxed, certainly more recently were amongst the first to deal with divorced couples.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know a lot about Inghamites, except that they were dissenters, started by a Yorkshireman, Ben Ingham, I think, and a very independent lot. Eventually most of the Inghamite congregations drifted into Methodism, I think. I just have the idea that they were rather more liberal re. re-marrying divorcees at a time when that was very difficult ... but I could be wrong. Think there are only a very few - of which Wheatley Lane is one - left, now.
Hope that's a bit of help.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)