Author Topic: William Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Siege of Derry  (Read 835 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Siege of Derry
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to make a connection between Irwin Stewart, a reverend in Co. Antrim, Ireland and his supposed grandfather, Sir William Steuart, hero of the Siege of Derry. I have seen many forums that say Irwin was the son of Henry Stewart (Lieutenant of Brigadiers in his father's Regiment of 9th Foot) and Jane Irwin, daughter of Christopher Irwin and Sarah Ormsby.

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding how William could possibly be Irwin's grandfather when he supposedly didn't have any children. William is supposed to be the grandson of William Stewart of Mains and Barbara Stewart of Burray.

One of the stories I've read is that a Robert Stewart, a relative of King James, was an ambassador to Turin and was granted lands in Ireland. On his way to claim them, he was lost at sea. Then his supposed grandson, William, went to claim them and raised an army for William of Orange. Would that Robert Stewart be the Robert Stewart connected to the Stewart's of Castle Stewart?

Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline SKN01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Siege of Derry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for the same lineage. However, I'm not sure that I can offer more than what has already been posted on this site (and often by yourself!! Thank you.).

If you should have any ideas for a local search, I will be headed to IE in the fall of this year (as permitted by Covid restrictions) and will have time to investigate. Simply let me know the details. It would be incredible to sort the William Stuart's (x2 generations), grandson & son Henry Stuart, and his son the Rev. Irwin Stuart.