Author Topic: Small Wares Dealer  (Read 652 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Small Wares Dealer
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
Someone in my village of Codnor Park found a cast iron plate bearing the lettering: “Sarah Moreland Dealer in Small Wares”.  Please see attachment.

It was found in the back garden of a cottage on Railway Row when he had problems with the drains and his builder had to dig out for new ones.

I am at the moment trying to do some research for an article in the village newsletter.
I have found reference to Sarah as a shopkeeper in 1876 and 1877 trade directories. I wonder if she only traded in those years or is she listed in any others. Is anyone able to help? Also can anyone find any reference to her as a small wares dealer or haberdasher?

Here are the relevant details: 
Birth
Sarah was born in Birchwood near Alfreton. She was baptised with her twin  brother John on 1st Jun 1817
her parents were Thomas & Sarah Daws her father was a collier
So far I have not been able to find her with any certainty in the 1841 and 1851 Census.
Marriage
Sarah married in 1854  - details;   Thomas Moreland aged 45 was a widower whose occupation was a moulder living at Riddings. Thomas’s father was also called Thomas Moreland and he was a labourer.
Sarah Dawes was aged 37 years and was a spinster living at Newlands Farm, Greenhill Lane. No occupation is given for Sarah. Her father was Thomas Dawes, a labourer.
The witnesses were John Dawes & Hannah ?
1861 Census
Sarah is living at 5, Railway Row in Codnor Park with her husband, their two children and a visitor. Details:
Thomas Morland; aged 51; husband; occupation Pipe Moulder; Born in Alfreton
Sarah Morland; aged; 44; wife
Jane Morland; aged 5; daughter; Born in Riddings
John Morland; aged; 1 Son; Born in Codnor Park
Elizabeth Morland; aged 9; visitor born in Alfreton

Sarah’s husband Thomas dies in 1861 and is buried in Ironville on October 16th  1861 in Ironville

1871 Census
Sarah is living at 5, Railway Row with her daughter Jane and two lodgers John Wrath & George Wilkinson

Trade directories 1876 & 1877
Sarah is listed as a shopkeeper living at 5. Railway Row - This would fit in with the metal Plate “SARAH MORELAND DEALER IN SMALL WARES” - Probably a haberdasher dealing in tapes, ribbons, braids etc. Is this assumption correct?

1881 Census
Sarah aged 65 is still living at 5, Railway Row with  her son in law Henry Cartledge     aged 31 born in Long Watton  and a labourer; Her daughter Jane Cartledge aged   26 and Jane’s son  John Thomas Cartledge aged 2 who was born in Codnor Park (probably at 5, Railway Row).  N.B. no occupation is given for Sarah in any census.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Small Wares Dealer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
From the OED Small ware: Small items of haberdashery; items of tape, cord, braid, etc.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Two generations of my family members ran a business under the description "Wholesale & Smallwares".  They supplied corner shops with items such as soap, soap powders, shampoo, toothpaste, combs, shoelaces, shoe polish, sewing cotton, darning wool, socks, stockings, etc.  My father would visit local shops each week to deliver ordered goods and take orders for the following week.  My mother would make up the parcels and bills.  The business faded, as did the corner shops,  after large warehouse wholesale businesses and supermarkets were created, so they both retired.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your comments Gillg - it all adds to the big picture and fits in nicely with the earlier definition - dealing in tapes, ribbons, braids etc.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.