Author Topic: Help re: deciphering a name plus a curious address in Hook Heath  (Read 1322 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help re: deciphering a name plus a curious address in Hook Heath
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
Having now found the actual manifest (Mary Bousfield & Ralph Bousfield, departing for New York 11 March 1916) I have to say that the person who wrote it had very idiosyncratic handwriting!
Comparing letters elsewhere on the page, the end of the mystery word does look very like a 'd'  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
And the more I look at it, the first letter does look like a P (see the entry for John Henry Petty above the Bousfields).

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
And the more I look at it, the first letter does look like a P (see the entry for John Henry Petty above the Bousfields).

Just about to say the same thing myself  ;D

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Is it Pined?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Although on balance, I might be more likely to trust the electoral register presumably compiled/checked by the headmaster of the school, than the information provided by someone known to use aliases!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
The strange thing is that I can only find Wylie G. H. Elliott on the Surrey electoral rolls and nowhere else.

The coincidence of the name Wylie in relation to Allen House is odd.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
Yes - I feel sure that this must be the cousin - but I have tried on Ancestry and FindMyPast, used the newspaper archive, and cannot get further than theses electoral registers.

Wylie G H Elliott is a rather good name for an American Private Investigator though........... ;D

Offline brinda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 June 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi squad - you've been busy!

I found our mystery man Mr. Wylie G. H. Elliott on the electoral rolls (although now I hear his name in an old-timey Hollywood voice - thanks Spidermonkey, :)). I haven't had a chance to dig around any further with him but if JenB didn't come up with much, I'm not sure how far I'll get... But we shall see.

JenB - yes, that writing is idiosyncratic, isn't it! It both helps and makes things tricky at the same time. There's a wealth of information in that manifest, and even more information was added later in pencil (that inspector took his job seriously!). I'm still hoping there's a clue in there I'm missing...

As for our Mr. Maw, those tiles are beautiful. I have a Rookwood tile (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookwood_Pottery_Company) and a vintage tile from Bombay on my desk right next to me as I type, so I appreciate the link. Maybe I'll have to add one of those Maw tiles to my collection.

And as to Mary, well she was a hoot. Mary’s cousin may have been a “cousin” or (if he is a he) he may have been something else entirely. She was very well-connected in the high society of her day. But where did her money come from? At least, at one point when she was young, there's evidence to suggest that she was “kept” by an older, wealthy, married man. Then again, this person could really be her cousin. Btw, I don't have much about her young life but Wylie and Elliott are not a names I have come across before.

Spidermonkey, this may(?) answer some of your other questions...
Here's a little of what I do know of Mary's early background:
Mary claimed that her mother (Jane) was Russian, her father was English, and that she (Mary) was born in St. Petersburg. Even so, she (Mary) definitely identifies herself as British.

The story was that Jane was married to a renown doctor - a man named Yearsley, but no first name is given. There was a famous family of Yearsley doctors in London and one man in particular who fits the bill. If it's him, he would have died not long after Mary's birth. But I can find no documentation to back any of this up. Here is the a link to the man. Fun fact: he is credited with inventing one of the first hearing aids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Yearsley

Note his connection to music, "in 1846 he became surgeon to the Royal Society of Musicians." Jane was a trained musician of some sort. I've found a classified ad where Jane lists herself as an "English lady, certificated RA Music; desires pupils." (I'm guessing that "RA" is the Royal Academy of Music.) The music scene in London can't have been that big? Maybe that's their connection?

Regarding Mary's age, she is fairly consistent between 1868 and 1871, but I take all her records with a hefty grain of salt ; )

Anyway, Mr. Wylie G. H. Elliott as our mystery "cousin" - I'm off to pull that thread :)

Smith, Ley, Lodwig, Warren, Tovey, McGaa, Copeland, Totterdale

Offline brinda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 June 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Mckha489
I was rereading the comments and I think I may have missed part your earlier post so if I didn’t properly thank you earlier, my apologies! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
And it looks like you’ve done some good sleuthing too - I’m going to check out these Wileys you’ve listed and see where the trail leads. If the last name on the manifest is “Wylie,” then it’s likely there would be multiple spellings in the records.
Btw, the son was nineteen. I’m guessing British boarding schools had students (generally speaking) up to age 18. But I’m not even sure he was a student. It’s just a possibility.
Thanks again and enjoy your weekend!

ps: I love and endorse "wild thinking" :)
Smith, Ley, Lodwig, Warren, Tovey, McGaa, Copeland, Totterdale