Author Topic: James Coleman, Rifle Brigade  (Read 506 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Coleman, Rifle Brigade
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 June 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
I had the details of his spell from 1887 to 1893. I only discovered this second spell yesterday! Can’t account for what he was doing between that enlistment date and the formation of the battalion.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! I’ve just got up the Silver War Badge record - it says he enlisted in September 1914, yet the battalion wasn’t raised until November 1915. How could he have been in the Army till then? His battalion was a Territorial Army one.

Presumably he was a reservist in one of the supernumerary Territorial Force companies before November 1915.  He didn't serve overseas until 1916 so the previous unit doesn't show on the medal rolls.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:08 BST (UK) »
Understood -  almost certainly in another set of records which do not appear to have survived.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
I keep on reading about the supernumary companies. What exactly were they? I've searched and searched, but don't get any clear answers.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
I keep on reading about the supernumary companies. What exactly were they? I've searched and searched, but don't get any clear answers.

See the section on "National Reserve" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_home_army_in_the_First_World_War
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Got a much better picture now. Also I have the scans of his pension, would anyone please be able to take a look at them for me if I PM them over?