Author Topic: The family of Mary Ann Little b c1829 in or near to Gretna Green Scotland.  (Read 1291 times)

Offline 10dorking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The family of Mary Ann Little b c1829 in or near to Gretna Green Scotland.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 June 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of the info that you have all found and copied to me.
it has taken a fair amount of time and patience to try and establish who was who and which family group did they fit into.
The earliest family group would appear to be that of JOHN Little and his wife Margaret Richardson of Old Graitney and they had 9 children viz :-
Jean b1777, John b1779, Barbara b1780, Janet b1782, Mary b1784, James b1786, WILLIAM b1787, Alexander b1789 and Robert b1792.
WILLIAM married Margaret Hall in July 1810 at Annan but lived in Old Graitney and they had 6 children viz :-
Jāmes b1814, Thomas b1816, John b1819, William b1822, MARY b1827, and Helen b1832.
A William Little bc1820 in Annan (I can't trace his father but it should be from one of the above male lines) appears to have married twice, firstly to Anna Maria Lowther in c1815, and secondly to Mary Ann Lowther in c1822, and they had 6 children, four in his first marriage, and two in his second marriage and they lived  in Annan viz:-
Andrew b1816, Ann b1819, George Lowther and his twin John b1821, and then Helen b1823 and MARY ANN b1826.
Therefore the Little family found by Monica in the 1841 Census is the Old Graitney family group.
A similar entry will exist for the Annan family group, but I don't have access to the Scottish Census.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT??
Somebody did provide a copy of the 1851 census for what turns out to be the Old Graitney family group which did not pick up MARY, which could indicate that she had married and left the family home, but of course she may be living in Scotland and not in London!
It would help enormously if details of the 1841 and 1851 census for the Annan family group could be obtained.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT???
I realise that these census searches are a lot to request but hopefully they may just provide the clue which will positively identify my 2xGreat Grandmother.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 June 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
You can get everything you need here:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The Scottish Census (1841-1911)
The OPR (pre 1855) birth and banns (marriage) and sometimes even death
The Statutory Records (post 1855 and onwards)
And a whole lot more

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 June 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Therefore the Little family found by Monica in the 1841 Census is the Old Graitney family group.
A similar entry will exist for the Annan family group, but I don't have access to the Scottish Census.
You have exactly the same access to the original Scottish census as everyone else, on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.