Author Topic: Diary - Thursday 11th June  (Read 503 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 11th June
« on: Thursday 11 June 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
Shall I start today's.....

Awake early waiting for the alarm to go off... how daft is that! Was up early for shopping day...
Out to Lidls and it was quiet thankfully .... aren't some people strange and totally oblivious...
I waited at a distance as I watched a man trying to find a melon or two that he thought were suitable... pick up one, then another... no put them back... pick up two more put them in his trolley... sort through another box that's under the first one... pick up two more and exchange them for the two in his trolley...they all looked the same to me....
Popped in to the chemist for couple of items...
Raining by now... C n C at Waitrose... bit of a wait as it was busy...
Short queue outside the greengrocers fortunately they've put a big awning up over the pavement so didn't get wet..
Home... had breakfast as was 9.45 by this time...
OH helped me with wiping and washing shopping down..
Bag of mangoes awful again this time two really badly bruised and bag of Thai chillies most had gone off!
Phoned the store and was advised they coukdnt do anything I'd have to phone their customer services number...
No joy there either was told I'd need to fill in a form online or email them with details... I explained what happened the last time and how helpful the store was etc and the woman got quite shirty with me saying the manager had had no right to do what he did...😱 I told her I'd have called it customer service unlike my treatment now...
sent an email with pictures probably hear from them sometime ...
Felt quite cross...
By this time it was lunch time...
Still raining...
Went to my work room and spent a/noon sewing... finished first five tops and got pockets ready for the next five,...
OH cooked dinner said it was his contribution to scub sewing,...
Watched some tv..
Early night were both tired...
I'm still finding shopping quite stressful... can't just take your time.. half of what I wanted not available.. even salt for heavens sake...
Ah well let's see what tomorrow brings.... more rain I expect.

I wonder how everyone else's day was...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Davis House, Lewiston, ME
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 11th June
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
Well, I did something bold today [can't believe I'm saying that; when did I turn into such a wimp].  I went to the supermarket - first time in three months.  In fact, it's the first time I've been more than a block from my front gate in three months.  I got a friend's nephew to take me so I didn't have to get in a possibly contaminated taxi.  Normally, I would take the bus to the market and a taxi back.  Temperature check at the door, face mask required, hand sanitizer on my gloved hands, sprayed with disinfectant front and back.  There weren't many people there so I mostly managed to keep 2 m apart.  I've never spent so much at the supermarket in my life - $280 plus $20 for the nephew [he protested but not too strenuously].  But it was worth it.  I've got all kinds of goodies - fish, shrimp, cheese, sour cream, mushrooms, salami, sausage, a pig's foot, olives, nuts, raisins, tortillas, etc. that I can't get at my little neighborhood shops.  I will now return to my hermit existence.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Erato you are in Ecuador?? Interesting regime at supermarkets.  Good old England, 2m social distance and a bit of hand gel if you are lucky!!   >:(

Well done Caroline and OH, a profitable day on the whole, but sorry to hear your customer service dept was not amenable today.

Weather so stormy in Torbay, tide in, gale force winds and raining, so no dogs out barking this morning.... I didn't wake up till 8:00. Shock horror. Consequently weekly grocery shop put on hold till tea time!

A "brisk" walk to post a birthday card, and buy some rhubarb.  Town fairly quiet due to weather, but witnessed some shocking behaviour from older individuals who don't like queuing!! 

After lunch H decided to paint another door. I'm not complaining!  Managed to construct another tree chart on the computer.  So fiddly using Word; there must be easier ways surely.  Such a thrill to get back to a set of 6 x great grands given my complicated European heritage.  If I don't set it down my grandchildren will never know..... though of course they may not be interested at all.

As soon as we jumped into the car to do grocery shop the heavens opened and hail was bouncing everywhere, but it stopped by the time we arrived to the store.  There had been news coverage of a car going out of control and injuring 8 people at Morrison's, but no sign thankfully when we arrived. Plenty of empty shelves in the fresh produce section, however job done for the week.  There must have been another downpour while we were in the store, but happily we did not get a soaking.  Our till assistant seemed painfully thin, poor girl is probably stressed out of her head.

Strangely H did not push for an evening walk, so the ducklings will have to wait for me till tomorrow.  He said he feels a bit down thinking about the global implications of second virus spike.  He is an optimist, and it has taken him about 6 months to process what I had worked through during March, but then I am a realist.  :P

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Well today, 12th June is my eldest sonís 63 rd Birthday.
He delivered some fresh produce yesterday,left in box at gate.
No kisses ,hugs etc,but I phoned at 8-10 ,just the moment he was born ,at home which is what I wanted .
I was not going home from hospital possibly with someone elseís baby!
We will celebrate all the special days when this is all over.
ď When this is all overĒó- I am not sure we will be saying that for a very long time ,but we will adjust ,and possibly some things might be better.

On a lighter note, and I know this story has been told before but if it makes someone smile it is worth re telling .
Baby born at home,hubby sitting on the stairs waiting ( not allowed in in those days,thank goodness ,the bang when he would have hit the floor would have needed the midwifeís attention).
To pass the time he fiddled with his shoelaces,tying them together.
When the  midwife called him to ďcome in and hold your sonĒ he stood up and promptly fell down the stairs .
A mother and widow in a couple of minutes!
Do you know ,he had to go to work a little time later ,no such thing as time off for fathers in those days.
Well mixed weather ,sun, rain, but as I only go out for a walk I can hopefully ď pick my slotĒ .
I think people a few doors away are building a skyscraper,so many of those huge sacks of sand,bricks etc blocking the side lane .So many!
Gradually making friends with a very nervous dog on my walks .
Shows great fear aggression ,so just quiet words and my hand extended just a few inches .Didnít see him yesterday but on Wednesday he actually came up and sniffed my hand.Then BARKED, I stood my ground ,which he was
puzzled by.But he had not won ,and it did not hurt him .
He will learn gradually.
A cockerpoo on a very long lead.

I keep dreaming of Bury market, all those stalls, clothes, food, toffees!
Fish all fresh and gleaming , vegetables squeaky fresh.Cheese to sample.
The banter,a comedian on every stall almost.
Lovely material , pots and pans .
One fine day! ::)
I have been listening to Classic FM canít you tell .
Cheerio , Viktoria.

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Viktoria, on SO MANY levels.
I hope you have a reasonable day, and keep dreaming of you favourite pass times because they WILL come again.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
I will look at the photographs taken a day or so later  ,so about two days old.
I used to feel sorry for other mothers because their babies did not look like mine,!!!
Gosh what arrogance!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
Great to read everyone's diaries, so much variation.
Caroline, I share your frustration about shopping in these times, I muck up my online shop by not paying enough attention! I'd have been livid about the mangoes and chillies, I don't understand why the packers would think it's okay to sell them.
Erato, if you're a wimp I'm even more of a wimp, haven't been near a shop at all. (I don't count the nurseries as that's pretty much outdoors). It must have taken a lot of courage so well done, I'm glad you're pleased with your purchases.
Mowsehowse, the ducklings will be missing you! Great weather for them though. Hope your husband is feeling happier today.
Viktoria, I did laugh at your comments about your husband possibly fainting if he was present at your son's birth! Happy birthday to your son.

Diary:

Rain rain rain!

Had checked the weather forecast a number of times to see if there would be a time when I could get out for my walk. It had rained during the night and early morning but dried up later, forecast heavy rain about 2pm so I went out late morning. There were vehicles on the field, presumably collecting the rubbish that people had left. Then men on three of the smaller grass cutters were cutting, I walked around the perimeter mostly to avoid them. Not many people around.

Was on my way back when a friend phoned so I rang her back when I got home, had a long chat.

I was determined to do some art work using a couple of photos I'd taken in the woods to do an oil pastel painting. I've only used the medium once before so had a look at a couple of YouTube videos.   Did a tonal sketch of the composition, drew it out and started with the painting, it kept me occupied for some time. The heavy rain started later than forecast but didn't let up for the rest of the day and evening.

Had an easy meal of some fish, started watching TV then my brother phoned. Always good to talk to him, he's a very upbeat sort of person too, that does help. He's an outdoor kind of guy and was trying to persuade me that I should buy some waterproofs and get out even in the heavy rain. Nice thought but I don't think that will happen! Watched the Sewing Bee, my money is on the lady who likes to dress in 1940s style.

Bath and bed, tried to stay upbeat when the weather forecast was just more rain on Friday.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Not a great day, weather didn't let me get any more done in the garden.  Childminder called to say she has to close for a week because her son has chickenpox so no childcare.  Can't access the usual alternatives thanks to lockdown so I am very much in the bad books with work. 

New TV, an unplanned purchase thanks to TV packing in arrived so attached the feet to the TV, programmed it.  Can't access catchup TV like I could on the old TV because I couldn't afford a better one like proper people.  So I managed to download the catchup apps onto the fire stick which we already owned.  The control for that had also packed in due to not being used much, so managed to download an app onto my phone to control it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Pharma, I thought I was a proper person, - donít have catchup,whatever that is,in fact my TV is a gas one!
I donít know how to record things.
I touched something whilst cleaning the glass TV stand so when I turn on I am told the aerial is in the wrong position.Well as far as I know it is still on the roof!
The most basic mobile phone ,anything less would be two cans and a piece  of string or even jungle drums.
I can just about use my iPad ,but only a fraction of the functions.
I still darn socks , handwrite letters (canít use feet since  the  gout).
Half the time I donít know what people are talking about if it is technology.
But I think I am a proper person.
Maybe more suited to Victorian times but if after this lot things like darning, turning sides to middle of sheets, are again necessities I will be well ahead of many who now think themselves proper people.
Try darning socks by mobile phone!
Pharma we have a good idea of your commitments and it has not crossed my mind and Iíll bet no one elseís that you are not a proper person.
Sorry about the childminder ,what can you do ?
Buck up ,and let us know how you manage.
Kind regards .
Viktoria.