Author Topic: Shifnal Manor - Any Associated Records?  (Read 412 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shifnal Manor - Any Associated Records?
« on: Friday 12 June 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hey all, bit of a local history question here, but does anyone know if there any surviving historical records for Shifnal Manor? I suspect that one of my ancestors was working there as a gardener prior to his death in 1783. I was wondering if there were any records I might be able to review for further information, online or otherwise.

I've googled for Shifnal Manor and while there seems to be some brief online histories available for the Manor in the 16th and 17th centuries, there seems to be comparatively little written about the 18th century.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shifnal Manor - Any Associated Records?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
I have seen the name Idsall floating about in some records - that might be why I've had some difficulty finding records! I know there are some records at the National Archives as well, but I don't think they cover the exact time period I'm looking at.

My 7x great grandfather John Edwards was living in 'the Park Lane' when he died, which is less than a kilometer away from the Manor House to the east. His last son was baptised in Essex in 1772 so if he was working there I'm looking at a roughly 10 year window sometime between 1772 and 1783.

Thanks for the suggestions Mckha, I'll take a look and see what I can find!

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Shifnal Manor - Any Associated Records?
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Idsall was indeed an alternative name for Shifnal, and it can still be found in road names, Idsall Crescent being an example. The name applied particularly to the area around the church and the manor, and is the oldest part of Shifnal.
I remember the whole class going on 'nature walks' to the manor with teacher when I was at primary school. There was a pool in the manor grounds but I believe it was drained some years ago.
clarke, sutton; shifnal wellington market drayton potteries
lowe, fletcher, bradburn; priorslee lilleshall donnington
horton; wolverhampton
betteley; shropshire and staffordshire