Author Topic: Jeanette Mantel: Marriage 3 Oct 1934 in Kings, New York, register access?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jeanette Mantel: Marriage 3 Oct 1934 in Kings, New York, register access?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 June 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you RJ, that's so interesting. Herman was an influential rabbi I think, and his son Hugo even more so. I have found numerous references to Hugo on that newspaper website.

Hugo, wife Edith Maybush and son Jonathan Moses Israel Mantel emigrated to Israel in the 1950s, and I think all died there although I couldn't find the relevant Israeli documents, I'm not sure they're accessible?

I should look up Mantel Manor on newspapers.com and see how long it functioned as a meeting place.

Their son Louis, Hugo's brother, was a Hebrew teacher in New York and settled in the orthodox area of Far Rockaway where my great uncle's ex-wife Margit was also living when she died in 1967 - as Sandra found out yesterday.

Louis and Elizabeth were the only children to stay in the New York area. Renee Mantel Schwartz died in Las Vegas, I don't know yet if she had any family but I think she had 2 husbands, Percy Schwartz and then Morris Cooper. There were also 2 other cousins I couldn't locate. Irene's sister Wilma Friedmann married Arthur Fischl and they had 2 children, Erica/Erika and Hans Gerhart Fishcl but I'm not sure yet what happened to them.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
There is an anc tree with lots of cutting on Mantel, is that yours ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 June 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
yes - Weiss/Yates/Butterworth/Smith

wow thank you Sandra for the Wellman info. I will have to see if they lived near the Bloom (Jeanette's) family who also moved to Florida, Boca Raton

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 June 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
WOOOOW....

Sandra and RJ, your help over the last few days has set off a major breakthrough. Armed with the info about Margit living in Far Rockaway and her close links with the Mantel family, I posted a question on the Jewish genealogical society message board, and someone who knows the family put me in touch with Jeanette's son in Jerusalem who has now contacted me. He also knew my great aunt Margit and hopefully will be able to tell me more about her.

This is a HUGE step forward in my research and has started to fill in one of the big gaps, although there are still plenty more really big ones.

Thank you again Sandra and RJ, your help in unlocking these family mysteries is so incredibly valuable.

Hopefully I will now also be able to find out from Jean's son what happened to Kalman and the other 2 brothers who I never located in the records. Maybe I'll also find out something about my great uncle Miksa, that would be an even bigger prize!!

Best
Colee

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Terrific news, delighted for you. I’m sure now you are in touch with a relative it will be even more exciting,

Sandra.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 July 21 16:20 BST (UK) »

Renee Mantel Schwartz died in Las Vegas, I don't know yet if she had any family but I think she had 2 husbands,

Renee Mantel Schwartz's obit mentions 3 children and a sister.

Las Vegas Review-Journal
Saturday, Apr 26, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Page: 36

obit: https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qq7/