Author Topic: Naming patterns in East Yorkshire  (Read 555 times)

Offline Johnsonsyard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naming patterns in East Yorkshire
« on: Friday 12 June 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi , advice please . After many years and time on my hands with the lockdown a breakthrough and have my ancestors firmly places in Bainton . Traced them back to the 1500's . Can anyone advise me if there were naming traditions in families in this area ?  Hoping this will help with establishing some relationships . I will be most grateful . many thanks . Nick

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Naming patterns in East Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you read some of George Redmonds' books? When Mary was on the throne she re instituted the recording of godparents' names in the baptismal records. In the early Catholic church godparents were very important. Halifax has these records for a short period in the 1550s and you can see how godparents affected the naming pattern. Of course, your godparents could well be your aunts and uncles and so you could have a family name, but also, you might well be named after the landowner from whom your parents rented, or one of his children. Then the landowner would leave money in his will to his godchildren. One of the Broadleys ended up as Marmaduke in this way. G. R. explains how names from the richer people spread downwards through society. In 1524 Trollis (Troilus)Broadley was taxed in Huddersfield on £1 of earnings. He was a servant. His name comes from the rich Bolling family of Bradford and he was probably born in Bradford. In 1556 Nicholas Savile left a will "to Nicholas, son of Robert Broadley, one cow." When you look at wills you may find groups of men with the same first name, possibly related by their godfather. But do read G.R.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Naming patterns in East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
A good number of years ago I found an article about naming patterns in the early 1700's.

1st son was named after the father's father
2nd son named after the mother's father
3rd son named after the father
4th son named after the father's eldest brother
1st daughter named after the mother's mother
2nd daughter named after the father's mother
3rd daughter named after the mother
4th daughter named after the mother's eldest sister

i don't know how true any of this is but it doesn't appear to relate to any of my large families and I have several of them in East Yorkshire.

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk