Author Topic: How to add NPE to a tree  (Read 786 times)

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to add NPE to a tree
« on: Friday 12 June 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
Please move if in the wrong forum.
My husband has found out that, through dna, that his father is not his birth father. I have narrowed it down to likely be one of three brothers as the particular  family has done a lot of dna tests on Ancestry. Several of the matches are very close (600-800 cm). I’ve built a  ( private, given the circumstances) tree and would like to add my husband in but I’m not sure how. Is it possible to link him to the known grandfather without a definite father? Plus, would it make any sense to link his mother’s side to this tree ( I currently have a separate tree for his parents which is public).

Thank you for any advice

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to add NPE to a tree
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think I would add the father as  <unnamed>Surname  You could then link to the mother and grandfather.

Initially, the mother and father will show as spouse. You then unlink them as discussed in this thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832244.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
Some genealogical software allows you to add multiple parents to a person, such as biological parents, adoptive parents, guardians etc. Ancestry trees allow this and below is an example from my tree where both biological and adoptive parents have been added to a person.

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks gadget, that seems a way to avoid either adding an extra son or choosing one. I’ll add it to the original tree and make that private since his sister  is keen that the other siblings don’t find out.

Davidft, thanks - I will do that.

Jo