Author Topic: SEWARD  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SEWARD
« on: Friday 12 June 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, This is more of a nudge to see if anybody has discovered yet another earth shattering morsel from the Seward archives...??? I have been somewhat tardy in my research recently, for that I apologise to myself, but now its time to knuckle down again. I have many proven examples of the Seward family from the London area, and right up to the more recent past, however, somewhere, sometime, I had discovered another source of potential ancestry members in the Lincolnshire area. There it became a trifle sticky to prove anything to do with the Seward family. Did they, maybe a John Seward, hail from Lincolnshire before settling near to Bethnal Green, I don't know, despite trying hard. Can anybody help me please?????
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SEWARD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
You would need to be a LOT more specific.

You've not even suggested a century for "your" John, nor revealed any hard record data about his existence .

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
My very humble apologies to answerers. I am entirely at fault here. In my defence I had been reading lots of back dated thread posts on here, and just put thoughts to type, sorry.....

The majority of the Seward's I know about all came from the Fulham/Hammersmith area, my G grandfather was born in the Bethnal Green Workhouse in 1870. After that, I have a great many records of my own. I did have a reply from a chap (Old Gobbo) back in 2007 in which he declared that his Seward family came from Lincolnshire, and gave me several examples. Between those names and my G Grandfather being born, there is this elusive John Seward whose first reference puts him around Bethnal Green. I was striving to prove a link between this John and Lincolnshire somehow, but the trail more or less went cold, and my life also got in the way of exploration until now.
Again, I do apologise for my error before..!
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Nope, still useless.
You've basically related that an unnamed person was b in the workhouse 1870, and that is all.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
You are quite correct, I am in deep error now obviously. I shall endeavour to correct my malaise as best I can......

My G Grandfather was named Edward Thomas Seward, he was born 17.4.1870. My theory was that this elusive John Seward, could be his father..????    The area fits, the name fits, he was evidently a Cabman, but after that....????  Any records that I have seen all point to a blank, but I certainly do not want to speculate at all, that is an easy road to travel from past experience with my mothers family history.....
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
Edward Thomas Seward was illegitimate.  No mothers maiden name on birth entry per GRO online

Do you have his birth cert?  If his mother was unmarried and surname Seward it's unlikely John Seward was his father.  If you got John from Edward's marriage cert he has made up a father to appear "respectable"  Very common practice with illegitimate children
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
Edward married 1889 & shows his father as John - deceased - occ platelayer.  Edward was also a platelayer

Don't know where cabman fits in

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your speedy answers, it is much appreciated.     To expand on my findings a while ago now. Edward Thomas Seward, my G grandfather was born at Bethnal Green workhouse as I have stated. I have his birth certificate, and, as you point out, the acceptable, respectable front may well have been offered up. According to a census, he had put his place of birth as being at Hythe....???    I found a John Seward on another census as being near to Bethnal Green, and as a Cabman. I have so much paperwork here from a time ago that has to be sorted out. I confess to being not up to speed with all this at the moment. I had to restart somewhere though.    I have to now place all this stuff in some sort of chronological date order. I have so many addresses and so forth, and a wealth of Williams, Edwards and Charles either as middle names, or first names. My own middle name is Edward, my fathers was Edward Charles, my elder brother is another Edward, but is called George to make it easier...???????    so the saga continues.....     Thank you again..
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)