Author Topic: Edward Eno and marriage  (Read 1156 times)

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Eno and marriage
« on: Friday 12 June 20 18:43 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Edward Eno had at least 6 children with his wife Elizabeth, but I have been unable to find a marriage, and do not know her maiden name.  All of their children were baptized in Sibsey Lincolnshire starting with John in 1736, the baptism only gives Edward as his father, then there is a ten yer gap until we get baptisms for: Eiizabeth in 1746, Sarah my direct ancestor in 1749, (whom married Thomas Peacock in 1770) Edward in 1753, Elizabeth in 1754 and another Elizabeth in 1755.  I have all of those baptisms.  Just wondering if Edward Eno's first child was with his wife Elizabeth as it doesn't mention her, and I don't know when he married her or where?  Lastly, I am also struggling with a baptism for Edward Eno, who according to ancestry trees is supposed to be the son of Edward Eno and his wife Rebecca nee Burrell.  They both may have been from Coninsby Lincolnshire which isn't that far from Sibsey, if this is correct?  There is a baptism for an Edward Eny in Sibsey in 1710 son of William no wife recorded a yeoman.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Eno and marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
The only marriage around that time which I can see at the moment is Edward Eno to Elizabeth Garland at Coningsby by Banns on 25 July 1749 -- which is a bit late.

Another one in Lincolnshire is Edward Eno to Jane Bishop in Coningsby on 22 May 1712!

Regarding Edward's possible baptism - 1710 father William in Sibsey
                                                        1720 father John in Sibsey
                                                        1727 father Edward in Coningsby

Not an easy one is it! However as there is more than one Edward about - the first child you have may be fathered by one of the other Edwards.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for a William Eny/Eno in 1741 in Sibsey and a will for him proved that year, but I don't know if it is available from Family Search or Lincolnshire Record Office online?  This could provide the answer if Edward Eno was his son, whom he names as beneficiaries. :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Greasey -- if it was me, I would try contacting Lincolnshire Archives - they maay not be open at the moment though - but possibly there will be an email address for them.

Otherwise It may have to go on your 'Things to do Later' pile!
Places of interest;

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
My only Eno is Dionysius Eno born 1815, Coningsby, Lincolnshire . Parents unknown.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
There is a Dennis Eno baptised at Coningsby on 1 Oct 1815. Parents Samuel and Maria.

Did Dionysius name a son - ie his eldest - Samuel, by any chance - or have you already explored that baptism? I imagine you have.
Places of interest;

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
Known children of "Dionysuis" Eno.

John
Jane
Maria (died Madison County, Illinois]
Susannah (died Decatur County, Iowa)
Mary Ann

Last clue on "Dionysius" so far found in England.
1845: Working as a Police Officer in Boston. (England). Temporarily laid off the force to save money. Published Lincolnshire Chronicle 27 June 1845.

Thank you. Dionysuis problem finally resolved.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
Barry -- if it is the correct 'Dionysius':

Samuel Eno married a Maria Isles? at Coningsby on 8 11 1802

This couple had at least the following children - but seem to have moved about;

Maria bapt 28.10.1805 Kirton in Holland
Henry bapt 14 10 1810 - Boston (Maria's surname is shown as Ilet)
Susannah  bapt 21.2 1813 - Boston
Dennis -- in 1815 as already given
Elizabeth - bapt 14 7 1818 in Frampton (West End)

There are gaps here, hence maybe there are others. I am surprised that Dionysius didn't name one of his own sons, Samuel - although he did name a daughter Maria and another one Susannah.

I obtained these records from the Lincolnshire marriages and Lincolnshire baptisms on Find My Past - but in view of the gaps I am not convinced I have found them all.

Certainly it will be worth following Samuel backwards just to see if any confirmatory clues are thrown up.
Places of interest;

Offline ianfromboston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 December 20 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I just signed up for RootsChat and this is my first post after seeing this original message. I'm also a direct descendent of Sarah Eno through the Peacocks and then the Fixters. Although John's baptism only gives the father there is a burial for a child of Edward and Elizabeth Eno on 24th November 1737. The name is really hard to read but it could be John and not seeing any other baptisms that seems like a reasonable assumption and would prove that his mother was an Elizabeth. To the point about him possibly being the Edward Eno "of the Frith" baptized in Sibsey 16 Feb 1720/21 son of John, I believe he was buried on 20th Jun 1723 in Sibsey. Additionally this date does not match the age at death (62 years old) of the person who died in Sibsey in 1771 which makes me think the father is William and Edward was born in 1710 in Sibsey. There is also a burial of a 6 year old child of Edward Eno of the Frith Bank on April 11th 1748, so Edward did have a child around 1742, so the gap between John and the next child may only be 5 years. Hope this is helpful. - Ian