Author Topic: Moneypenny's Chronicles  (Read 593 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moneypenny's Chronicles
« on: Saturday 13 June 20 07:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a link to 'Monnipenny's Chronicles'  published in 1597? I've tried in vain!
Cheers,
Bob
PS I found the author's name spelt in a variety of ways, including Monipenny & Moniepennie.
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moneypenny's Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Bob,

There were 4 - 1592/94/96/98 each covered different family groups. I guess you are looking for Armstrong which was 1558.

The actual Chronicles very rare, all in private hands. I was told St. Andrew's archives has one and the National Museum 2.  Only one person has a complete set and English isn't his first language.

WorldCat is a good place to find his works held in libraries. These will likely be reprints/abridgements which came out in the early 17thC. But perhaps there is a University Library near you where you can at least get a taste.

I had a Montrose (1596) in my hands for about a minute a long time ago at McNaughtan's (Edinburgh) but it was in rough shape, pages missing and a ridiculous priced. 

If you decide you want one, start emailing the rare book merchants in Edinburgh and London most have online shopping.  Shapiro's in London I have used many of times, McNaughtan's as well both reasonably honest about their condition. 

And if you are thinking because its old, everyting will be accurate - not so much.  Keep in mind, most of the what he wrote was an embellishment for the families who funded him.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moneypenny's Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.
I heartily agree with you re the inaccurate clan histories. David Sellar, once a Lord Lyon, wrote a paper outlining some of the fabrications attached to various clans. He was appalled at the number of indigenous clans who fabricated their ancestry to make connections to the Normans.
I won't start on the history of the Scotti & the Picts - life's too short!
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland