Author Topic: Interpretation of 1900 US CENSUS street information  (Read 645 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interpretation of 1900 US CENSUS street information
« on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:38 BST (UK) »

I've been looking at the 1900 US census. One of the very leftmost columns is supposedly used to record the street name that the enumerator is visiting. Often this has been left blank. In one particular case in which I am interested, this is blank, but the right hand tab, on Ancestry shows the street name as being Bogy Street, named for a local politician. I just can't understand how anyone inferred this from the census form. I've looked right through the entire area's contributions with no luck.

https://www.ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk/interactive/7602/4118787_00676?pid=29570876&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=11f6652&_phstart=successSource

This page on Ancestry:

1900 United States Federal Census, Missouri, Iron, Arcadia, District 0042

shows the Hill & Schwab families and others on the sheet as living at 3 Bogy Street.  This is shown on the supplememental detail tab, and is not mentioned on the census original.  How could Ancestry have inferred this address?

Clearly they can't all have lived in one house, as the properties were very small.

Where did the evidence for "Bogy Street" come from.

Zaph

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Interpretation of 1900 US CENSUS street information
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
You are correct, there are no house numbers listed.  Probably a "default" number or transcription error.  The "Bogey St." comes from the sheet several pages back.  --Dwelling Number:  96 and 97 live on Bogey St.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
The "Bogey St." comes from the sheet several pages back.  --Dwelling Number:  96 and 97 live on Bogey St.

That's image 10 of 30
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
The sheets with no town/village name and no street names are images 11-17, then follows East Street and Knob Street in Ironton Town. A contemporary street map of Arcadia Township might help.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
It looks like images 11-17 could be people who lived in dwellings between the towns of Pilot Knob and Ironton, not on any named road.

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for that.  I can't believe I missed the earlier mention.  I spent hours trawling over the whole thing.  It is Bogy, not Bogey, after Lewis Vital Bogy, a local industrialist, railroad magnate and eventually a senator, as well as an odd name.  A fascinating man, I am pleased to have a connection with.

Zaph