Author Topic: Software - recommendations?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Software - recommendations?
« on: Saturday 13 June 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm starting to tie myself up in knots working between Ancestry and FindMyPast and would really like to amalgamate my research and bring it all together on my hard drive as I'm worried about losing research as I work between the platforms. I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for the software they like and why. Ideally I want something that will bring my sources together well and keep all these bits of digital paper together in one place.

Thank you

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Software - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure there's any software that does that.
I use 1 folder per family, inside sub folders for births, marriages, deaths, census, wills, military etc.
If there is 1 family member where there is a lot of information I will do a sub folder for that person.
Save to an ext. HD.
Do the same for GEDCOMS.
All the digital bits of paper can be downloaded & included in the sub folders.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
I would recommend using software on your PC - thus keeping it under your own control.
Personally, I use RootsMagic - which has the ability to link to Ancestry, MyHeritage and FamilySearch. (Not that i use those links ;D)

RootsMagic Essentials is free software, that you can use to try things out.

There is other software out there.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that's really helpful! Definitely want to own the data. Open to others too if anyone has further recommendations - particularly if they're FindMyPast friendly.

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
+1 for Roots Magic.

It has the function that you can create a fully functional working clone that can run on a USB drive hence a great backup.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 04:11 BST (UK) »
As you want one that works well with Find My Past then Family Historian is the best one.

I started with Family Tree Maker and used that for years. I found it to be an excellent program. When Ancestry stopped supporting it I went to Roots Magic. This is quite good and has been stated you can take it on a stick anywhere. Great if you travel around researching or want to show family.

I found Roots Magic a little bit short on what I wanted, it was not as comprehensive as Family Tree Maker had been.

Family Tree Maker was taken on and is still in existence. I still have it on my computer but do not use it. Still consider it a good program. Expensive perhaps, but you need to see for yourself. If a program fits a lot of what you do it may not seem so expensive.

I went looking. After some long deliberation I sorted out all those I could find and Family Historian fitted everything I wanted. It is logical for a start. Fairly easy to use. Very Find My Past orientated. Hints too from My Heritage.

I think Family Historian may suit you, particularly if you main research interests are in the UK. However it suits all the western world.

Legacy is another good one I understand, very popular. It is more American orientated, but certainly not exclusively so.

You need to work out what you want from a program. A place to keep your own records on your own computer is essential.

Are you PC or Mac orientated? There are programs for both.
How strong is the program to do what you want it to do?
Have you thought out what you intend to do with the records?
Do you just want to research or to do something with them?
If so what?
Do you want to write up your research?
Do you want to be able to do charts easily?I have Charting Companion too, but do not use it much.

Have fun looking. I used a top ten review site to sort out what programs there were around. Family Historian usually comes out in the top three.

There are free ones.

As has been stated Roots Magic is free, but to get all the program one needs to pay, but it is not expensive. Very friendly folk on there.

Gramps is free, but it does not suit me. Probably suits a lot of other folk.

Take your time, think it all out, particularly if expense is a problem.

Good hunting.