Author Topic: What was a tyre dresser?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was a tyre dresser?
« on: Saturday 13 June 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
No amount of Googling will tell me this.  Was a tyre dresser like a tyre smith, one who made the iron bands (tyres) around wooden cart wheels?  I can't believe I can't find the answer to this one!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What was a tyre dresser?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
searched for this, exactly as typed below:
old occupation "tyre dresser" -tire

found at this site:
http://doot.spub.co.uk/code.php?value=279

dresser (metal trades)
    (i) see frazer;
    (ii) removes roughness from castings, rolled rails, steel plates, etc., by chipping with hammer and chisel (see chipper) or by holding against emery wheel or by grinding with portable wheel; sometimes specifically designated, e.g., centre dresser, rail dresser, tyre dresser, wheel centre dresser, wheel dresser.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 20 01:02 BST (UK) »
Anything that is cast in a mould, such as rubber tyres, or even pottery is usually "rough" around the edges and bits that should not be there needs toi be buffed off in a manner and with a tool that will do the job in hand.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 20 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you 😊
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
I suppose it depends upon what date you’re looking at.

Twenty or so years ago, I had dealings with a firm that was entirely based upon the trimmings from tyre moulding. They ground the stuff up into small particles which were used for producing safety surfaces - e.g. playgrounds and tennis courts.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
No amount of Googling will tell me this.  Was a tyre dresser like a tyre smith, one who made the iron bands (tyres) around wooden cart wheels?  I can't believe I can't find the answer to this one!

Is this from the census? The 6 tyre dressers in 1911 were employed by steel works, and could have been dressing tyres for train wheels. A train wheel typically consists of two main parts: the wheel itself, and the  tyre  around the outside.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Stan is correct, I've had a shot at the fitting of these. The dressing/turning was not a trade in my time but probably was then! The forged steel tyres are turned/dressed in pairs to fit the wheel centres, a groove is cut on the inside, the newly cut tyre goes into a ring of gas jets & when expanded enough the up-ended & dressed wheel centre is lowered into the tyre. When cooled a bit the "Gibson Ring! is hammered into the groove cut in the tyre along with a small spacer. This then gets compressed on a roller until the ring & wheel are held tight. The wear on the tyres in traffic necessitates re-profiling back in the workshop at some point to remove "flats!" This process can be repeated several times until there is not enough "meat" left on the tyre & they are then cut off & scrapped. The centres are then cleaned up for fitting new tyres!
 Modern trains tend to have mono-bloc wheels with no tyres & the whole wheel is scrapped when worn down!

Happy Days!
 Skoosh.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:26 BST (UK) »

It all depends when you are referring for instance-
The Dictionary of Occupational Terms (published by the UK Ministry of Labour in 1927) states:-

608 Tyre Finisher; motor tread fitter, rubber tread maker, tyre tread fitter; affixes tread to tyre cover by hand, with solution, before vulcanisation; sometimes presses small pieces of rubber into required shape to form external surface of tread; usually does not re-tread, cf. Tyre maker (602), Tyre Retreader.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
A photo of the steel tyre being rivetted on the rolling machine, tapping with a hammer tells the operator that the tyre is tight on the centre. A bit like the wheel-tappers do out on the track with their long hammer, walking the length of the train testing for cracked wheels & loose tyres.

https://grouprhodes.co.uk/solutions-by-industry/railway/axle-wheel-assembly-machinery

Skoosh.