Poll

Will you go to the high street shopping now?

Oh Yes, here I come!
8 (10.3%)
Oh No, not on your nelly!
52 (66.7%)
Not sure yet. I find this fence comfy.
18 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Sunday 28 June 20 22:02 BST (UK)

Author Topic: Will you go shopping on the high street now?  (Read 8906 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will you go shopping to the high street now?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
Our shops are still closed but not a chance tbh.  MY trip to the supermarket on Friday was bad enough.  I had people hanging over me, touching me! People ignoring the one way system and boasting about it, no attempts to enforce it, absolutely zero consideration for personal space or that others may exist and have rights.  I was so stressed by the time I finished I felt ill and in fact nearly walked out.  So there's no chance I'm going to try and go shopping for fun.  Anyway I don't have money to spend the way proper people do.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
I won’t be going shopping!

If my memory serves me correctly, on the last several occasions I went shopping before this malaise hit us, there was little or nothing I ever wanted to buy and everything I’ve needed since then, I’ve managed to have delivered.

I wonder what’ll come first, the gongs or the repecussions?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:23 BST (UK) »

I have snatched an eye test appointment for Monday pm.

Is that just a routine one Lisa? I didn't realise opticians were opening as well, I must see if mine is as my eye test is over due.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
It's a reasonable compromise - after all, without an economy there could not be a health service and many more people would die.

I do not think that it is a reasonable compromise, in fact I think that it is unreasonable to expect others to die so that we can go shopping. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:39 BST (UK) »

I have snatched an eye test appointment for Monday pm.

Is that just a routine one Lisa? I didn't realise opticians were opening as well, I must see if mine is as my eye test is over due.

Hi Jan...I have had an email from Boots where I get my eyes tested, to say they are open for appointments only.

I won't be rushing to go shopping as I don't need anything at the moment but will when the rush is over as I have two gifts cards from Mother's Day, I didn't want to spend them online as I want to support our local shops.

I can understand why people won't want to visit the shops because they feel it is too soon, but my Daughter and her Husband own their own shop which is very popular in the market town where they live and their order book is full. They have manged ok up to now, their staff have been furloughed but some of the contract workers have had to be laid off and they want them to get back to work as they don't want to lose them. They are open now with strict measures in place but my Daughter has to work from home as her two girls can't go to school until September.The economic impact for businesses will have far reaching consequences for a long time to come. So for many, it is a welcome step forward towards normality for them, their staff, and the flood victims who are without carpets, flooring and soft furnishings and are waiting for a fitting, their carpets have been stuck in the warehouse since lockdown.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
I only intend to do my usual weekly trip to Aldi or Tesco for groceries. There are a number of household items I could do with (that aren't available at those two stores) and at some point I will probably head into town to see if I can get them but I intend to see how the town shops cope and let the possible 'feeding frenzy' of shoppers off-the-leash die down a bit. Maybe in a week or two I might try it.

What I'm really looking forward to is being able to meet friends or family for coffee in Costa or Nero's - but that may be quite a while coming, yet!  :'(

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
It's a reasonable compromise - after all, without an economy there could not be a health service and many more people would die.

Without livelihoods the social problems in themselves would be catastrophic.

That's why we're encouraged to kick-start the country again by going out shopping.

I agree Trystan, some people can get all they need from supermarkets but some cannot, we have a disabled granddaughter who desperately needs new shoes, she has worn the soles edges down so far there are holes in the shoes, that in turn affects her efforts to walk. If she cannot walk her life will be compromised at a later date when covid-19 is a faint memory to most.
We cannot order shoes online as she wears A.F.Os. and any shoes has to be big enough to take these as well as her feet (we have been waiting since April for a £50 refund for an earlier order we made for her).

There are many things that many if not most people think are not necessities but to some people they are vital to live a "normal" life.

As long as people are not forced to go back to work I see nothing wrong with all shops opening as long as they follow social distancing rules.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
The problem is guy that so many people are completely ignoring it and touching other people even when they ask them not to.  Personally I find that really rude even without covid.  I think to open safely they need to be strict with social distancing and ask those who are determined to enforce themselves into other people's space to leave.  These selfish people are ruining it for everyone because social distancing only works when everyone tries to do it. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 June 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
The problem is guy that so many people are completely ignoring it and touching other people even when they ask them not to.  Personally I find that really rude even without covid.  I think to open safely they need to be strict with social distancing and ask those who are determined to enforce themselves into other people's space to leave.  These selfish people are ruining it for everyone because social distancing only works when everyone tries to do it. 

I agree but if you use that as the measure of whether to open a shop or not even supermarkets would still be shut now as that group of people behave the same way when shopping in a supermarket.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.