Author Topic: Saving Files to Cloud  (Read 668 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Saving Files to Cloud
« on: Sunday 14 June 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have had problems opening Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 (Word) this morning.  After looking on line I found that I could go to Programs, click on it and then click repair.  I tried quick repair but it didn't work so I clicked the "On-line repair" and that worked.  It probably took about 15 minutes and now it's working OK.

However, my husband has suggested that I should store all my Word files (and there are 100s of them) on Cloud.  The problem is neither of us has any idea how to do that.  I store my Legacy family tree on Cloud but that just comes up as a choice when I save new info.

Help please.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Files to Cloud
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
Since you are in the Microsoft world already you might try OneDrive which may already be installed on your computer.  There are many other places to store your files in the cloud such as DropBox, IDrive, etc.  I'm sure you will get many responses to your question.

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  My OH has downloaded 4 pages of instructions as to how to use DropBox.  I hadn't thought of One Drive, I've seen it on my laptop but had no idea what it was.  ::)  I'll have a look at that first. 

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  My OH has downloaded 4 pages of instructions as to how to use DropBox.  I hadn't thought of One Drive, I've seen it on my laptop but had no idea what it was.  ::)  I'll have a look at that first.

You should find that One Drive is already integrated with all of the Microsoft products and it's just a case of picking the right folder.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
The question is, whichever method I use, can I save all the files that are already on my laptop or only the ones after I start to use DropBox, OneDrive etc.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, you can just copy your existing files to One Drive.  I would guess you could copy an entire folder also.  So if you have your Word documents in folders, the copy would be a piece of cake.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I'll have a go tomorrow and see how I get on.  Many of my Word documents are in folders, some are previous Word and, although they will open, they take ages as something has to be reconfigured so that my Word 2016 will open Word 2009.  Each time I open an old document, I save it to Word 2016.  Of course, the problem arrives when people send me Word documents, I try to persuade them to copy to PDF which I can open without any problems - but that's a different issue.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
Another point in favor of online storage is you can share a document or folder with another person. 

Microsoft has an online program called OneNote in which I keep my research notes (one folder per family).  So if I run across a new cousin, I can give him/her permission to view that folder and we can collaborate on our research.  OneNote can hold any kind of document so I can upload pictures, area maps, BDM documents, Word documents, PDFs, etc.  It's all very handy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
I ought to find out more about Microsoft really.  I have OneNote on my laptop but thought it was only for holding files etc. temporarily.   ::)