Author Topic: Brick wall - need advice Barbara Ellyett (21 Feb 1840-1 Sept 1896)  (Read 425 times)

Offline Bristol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick wall - need advice Barbara Ellyett (21 Feb 1840-1 Sept 1896)
« on: Sunday 14 June 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
I’m stuck and need your collective help!  Barbara Ellyett (21 Feb 1840-1 Sept 1896), d of John Ellyett and Elizabeth McCoy/McCloy, was married to Eli Lewis Fishpaw by Rev James H. Wolf on 18 May 1865 presumably in Virginia, USA, where her parents lived.  (Eli was born and raised in Maryland.)  I’ve documented Barbara’s siblings and her descendants, which include my mother, but haven’t been able to definitively go back further than her parents.

As you all undoubtedly know, there were a gazillion ways to spell what sounds like “Elliott”.  Within the records I’ve found for our line, the letter “e” is usually the vowel; there’s variability over the number of “l”s and “t”s; some end in “e” and some don’t. But there’s one constant with my family, at least from John forward:  inclusion of a “y”.

Per his data on Ancestry from the Clarke County, Virginia Deaths 1853-1896, John Ellyett was born in Frederick County, VA in 1807. This jives with the birth year on his headstone (Find A Grave), but Clarke County wasn’t created out of Frederick County until 1836. His parents could have been in what became Clarke County – or in what remained as Frederick County.  Per his death record’s data, John’s parents were named William and Mary.

I haven’t been able to locate data for William, Mary, or their family, but there are tantalizing items from Maryland, such as William Elleyeot, listed in the Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol 1, p 47, for 2 Sept 1668, referencing his son William, when he comes of age.  There’s also William Ellyott, from Somerset County, Point Patience, with 143 acres on 1 July 1695 in the Settlers of Maryland, 1679-1783 p 212. 

I run out of names with a “y” in the area after this.  While that’s obviously not the only way to look at the evidence, I haven’t been able to tie any of the other surnames which are spelled differently to John either.  Any thoughts regarding these folks whether in the US or in England would be appreciated!
Ellyette, Eleyett, Ellyett, etc.
Wood (Ottiwell)
Jackson (Ephraim)
Browne, James, William, Richard
Pusey
Fries
Fishpaw
Williams, James
Smith Adam

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - need advice
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1810 to 1830 censuses of Frederick County for William Elyett with a son of the right age in the household?  It might tell you which part of the county they were living in. 

---------
My hunch is John was born in the part that remained Frederick County, just because people aren't usually as precise as genealogists regarding birthplaces, and they would have used the boundaries that existed at the time they were speaking, not when John was born. If he had been born in the part of the county that became Clarke, they probably would have said he was born in Clarke Co. - but that is just speculation.

------------
If you don't have this already, this will at least upgrade your source for his death:

John Elyett, died 7 May 1878, Clarke County VA, age 72, cause: pneumonia, parents: William and Mary, birthplace: Frederick

a different index transcription at ancestry, based on the same source, says he died 7 May 1879, and was born in Frederick Co, Virginia

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Clarke County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999.
Original data: Fridley, Beth. Clarke County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96.

The Virginia Deaths and Burials index (ancestry says it is on familysearch) has the 7 May 1878 date

-----------
1840 Census,  Clarke County, Virginia
John Eleyet
3 free white females under 5
1 free white female 20 to 29
1 free white male 30 to 39

1 male slave age 10 to 23
1 female slave age 10 to 23

------
I didn't find him in the 1850 census, but didn't look too hard. If I found the right man, the 1850 slave schedule says he held 2 slaves, a woman 24, and a girl 1

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
Search results

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pli/
The 1840 Census is in those results, but meanwhile I found it so here it is:
1840 Clarke County, Virginia
John Eleyet
3 free white females under 5
1 free white female 20 to 29
1 free white male 30 to 39

1 male slave under 10
1 female slave age 10 to 23

------
I didn't find him in the 1850 census, but didn't look too hard. If I found the right man, the 1850 slave schedule says he held 2 slaves, a woman 24, and a girl 1

-------------
The 1850 census is also in those results, and is linked to a tree. But the tree has the wrong set of parents for John: (unnamed) Eleyett and Nancy Eleyett.

They might have been trying to fit him into this family
1850, District 16, Frederick County VA
William Elliot, 65
Nancy, 55
William, 34
Mary 23
Rebecca V, 21
Emily 19
Maria 16
John 12
James 9

That man married looks to have married Nancy Wright 12 Oct 1810, Frederick VA. He's on the 1830 census with the oldest child in the home age 15 to 19

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Here's a possible William Elliott with 2 sons born between 1800 and 1810

1810 Census, Pughtown, Frederick VA
William Elliott
males under 10: 2
males 45 and over: 1
females under 10: 1
females 10 to 15: 2
females 26 to 44: 1

Offline Bristol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for the thoughtful feedback.

My apologies!  I originally included a note that I'd tracked John and Elizabeth through the 1840, 1850, 1860 and 1880 censuses (1880 Elizabeth as a widow), but thought I was getting too wordy and deleted.  Beginner’s mistake.  I'm sorry to have sent you looking for duplicates.  (Looked at every line of the 1870 county census, but couldn't find them.)

Very good point about referring to the county from the vantage point of time.  I agree with you that John was probably born in what remained as Frederick County.

John’s will was registered for probate in October 1878 so I’m assuming that the 1879 date is inaccurate.  I still have to pull up the actual probate documents.

Yes, I did look for William and any other first name with a surname that came close to Elliott, Ellet, Ellsell, etc. in prior Frederick County censuses.

*There's a Nicholas Elleott in Baltimore for the 1800 census, but I didn't see him afterwards.
*There's a Christopher Elliott spelled with a 'y' in an early marriage record and I fancied him for a sibling, but while he lives in Clarke County through the 19th century, nothing from his family ever seems to cross with my Eleyett or Ellyetts so I've tentatively crossed him out.
*I was also excited to see a William Elliot named in 1800 for Frederick County Maryland, with a John listed as well (albeit possibly too early to be my John); William Ellet or Ellit in Hartford MD; William Elliott in Prince George's County, MD; and a William Elliott in Queen Anne's County, MD. 
*William Ellsell (1830 VA census) seems to have been a true “Ellsell” since there are still Ellsells in Clarke County in the 1870s and 1880s.
*I may have missed other Williams in Virginia, but one I thought my best lead since he was born in 1785 turned out to be William Aquilla Elliott and wife Nancy.  I’d originally hoped she might have been a second wife.

I’ll double back and try to dig deeper into the other William with early census listings in Virginia. – For example, there’s a Benjamin Elliott who’s recorded near William Elliott near Pughtown, VA on the 1810 census.  Pughtown is essentially part of the Back Creek area, which is where Wm Aquilla Elliott is counted for the 1860 census.  Ben ends up living in Clarke County, but that doesn’t lead me to think he’s part of my people.

I’ve also tried and failed to find documentation online that would tie the Jane Eleyet who gets married in 1832 to my family.  I still think she could be John’s sibling.

I’ve tried searching death records and cemetery records, etc to see if I can find William or Mary’s death without success but will try contacting the local archives and historical society folks too.

What do you think about searching for English data for William’s forebears?  Is it too much of a needle in the Elliott haystack?  I wondered if using the 1668 will date in Maryland as a starting point would be worth trying?

Many thanks again!

Ellyette, Eleyett, Ellyett, etc.
Wood (Ottiwell)
Jackson (Ephraim)
Browne, James, William, Richard
Pusey
Fries
Fishpaw
Williams, James
Smith Adam

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 20 22:04 BST (UK) »

What do you think about searching for English data for William’s forebears?  Is it too much of a needle in the Elliott haystack? 
At this point it would only help if you are sure that all the Elliotts in Virginia and Maryland descended from the same man. Or if you knew that all the Elliotts in England were from the same place.
You might end up doing most of the Elliots in the area though, one way or the other, and eliminating the others.