Author Topic: The Elusive William McRoskell  (Read 23436 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive William McRoskell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
The William Roskell mentioned in the newspaper with father Robert died in 1859.  His son Robert was already running the business
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, What do others think of the transcription of RG09 448 61 55. Anc* has William M Roshell. FindMyPast has William M Boshell. To me it looks like Roskell(e) I know it records born Belper Derbyshire but this man has told may lies and he is a watchmaker.

John

Also looks as if this man was married - but no spouse shown in household.  If this is the right man, it might suggest an earlier marriage which prevented him from marrying Elizabeth Cooper.

Incidentally -  if you look to the K in watchmaKer, then it is similar to the k/h of Roskell.  A comparative H can be found in wHitebread in the surname line below.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Fuller details of St Clair's marriage

Parish records
Page 145 entry 290
St John the Evangelist Stoke next Guildford Surrey 14 May 1898
St Clair Caffryn Mc Roskell 26 Bachelor Horsekeeper of Holy Trinity Aldershott father William McRoskell dec Watchmaker
Emily Jane Bristow 28 spinster of Stoke Within father William Bristow dec Builder
Witnesses Henry James Bristow
Mabel Beatrice Mc Roskell
all signed

so know William died pre 1898

and a witness was Mabel Beatrice Mc Roskell -could this be Mabel beatrice Tutt b 1879 Winchester??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Probably a red herring, but there is a William Roswell, Watchmaker, at 121 Southwark Park Road, London in 1885

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
Rose Ellen McRoskells marriage in 1889 to Arthur John Clayson MAY narrow down her fathers death even further. I still think the death of William Mcroskel Frazer in 1887 is a very strong contender as death age all but matches 1861/1871/1881 census.
The William Roswell in 1885 could well be him.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Probably a red herring, but there is a William Roswell, Watchmaker, at 121 Southwark Park Road, London in 1885

Just to eliminate--married Harriet Harwood 28.11.1847. He died 1904. Appears on census after the marriage of StClare.

John

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
The William Roskell mentioned in the newspaper with father Robert died in 1859.  His son Robert was already running the business

I found lots of records after posting this online and realised they couldn't be the same person. I wonder if there is some kind of relation however.

Offline annie1515

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
Fuller details of St Clair's marriage

Parish records
Page 145 entry 290
St John the Evangelist Stoke next Guildford Surrey 14 May 1898
St Clair Caffryn Mc Roskell 26 Bachelor Horsekeeper of Holy Trinity Aldershott father William McRoskell dec Watchmaker
Emily Jane Bristow 28 spinster of Stoke Within father William Bristow dec Builder
Witnesses Henry James Bristow
Mabel Beatrice Mc Roskell
all signed

so know William died pre 1898

and a witness was Mabel Beatrice Mc Roskell -could this be Mabel beatrice Tutt b 1879 Winchester??

Suz

I was wondering this too. I did find a marriage for a Mabel Beatrice Tutt in 1901.

on the 1911 census Elizabeth Cooper says she has only 1 child still living, so presumably she died between 1901-1911.

I'm tentatively suggesting she married Harry Horace Osman, and that she died in 1903 (although the birth year is out by a couple of years.)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
Bit of a puzzle or am I missing something. Elizabeth Mcroskell/Ross/Tutt nee' Cooper does record 5 children born only 1 surviving by 1911. I can account for only 3 deaths pre 1911, Lois Selina 1863- 1867, St Clare Caffyn 1870-1904 and probably Mabel Beatrice (Tutt) 1879-1903. Still alive is Violetta  1869-1944. The mystery is Rose Ellen. She marries Arthur John Clayson and has at least 4 children with him mmn Mcroskell between 1890-1896. They then appear on 1891 census in Woolwich & 1901 census in Suffolk. Husband Arthur John Clayson dies 1903. Cannot find a remarriage or death pre 1911 for Rose Ellen. The only fitting death I have found is Rose Ellen Clayson aged 32 in 1898 in Faversham, but how would she then appear in 1901?? or is Arthur living with another Rose in 1901? Answers on a postcard!!

John