Author Topic: Best contender for marriage to William Paine of Ringwould late 1600s  (Read 798 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help please in deciding the best contender for marriage to William Paine of Ringwould in the late 1600s. I have William marrying a Katherine Castle on 2 April 1686 in Ripple. Interestingly the marriage for Ripple also seems to have happened at Westbere which I find curious - any thoughts on why there would be two distinct entries for the same couple on the same date?

While William was probably about 23 when he married (estimated from a baptismal date of August 1663), the Katherine I currently have (a Ringwould contender) was a tender 13 (baptismal date 1673). I have read that the age of consent in the 1600s was 12 for a girl but that it was rare for young marriages to occur.

So in a quest for other Katherine Castles I have come up with two others who lived within the greater region of Ringwould:
Catherin Castle - Lydden who would have been about 15 at marriage
Katherine Castle - Folkestone who would have been about 20 at marriage.

There are other Katherine/Catherine Castles but as they were a bit further afield in Kent I've eliminated them. Should they be included?

If I look at possible children for William and apply naming conventions (appreciate that is only a general guide), then Katherine from Ringwould and Catherin from Lydden are the stronger possibilities.

Is the Westbere entry a key here? What else should I be considering? What are the flaws in my thinking? Appreciate your help. TIA
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Best contender for marriage to William Paine of Ringwould late 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
in the original ripple parish record the spelling of the surname is spelt payne date given april 2 1686
rayb

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again
the marriage is not in westbere parish records
rayb

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 20 02:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks rayb. Appreciate you checking the registers and good to know they are not appearing in Westbere. The Payne/Paine/Pain spelling varies depending on my day;) I've so many in my tree I've given up. However, I have gone back and changed the spelling for William to be consistent with the record.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 20 04:33 BST (UK) »

What else should I be considering?

Have you looked at wills for these people? Did William himself leave a will? - he may have mentioned family of his wife. What about the fathers and families of these people? Sometimes the wills of maiden aunts leave bequests to a whole heap of nephews and nieces.
Once you get back this far, wills can prove an invaluable source of information.
I'm not sure where Kent wills are kept, or if they are on one of the big genealogy websites - Added: Just checked, there do seem to be some on findmypast. Perhaps somebody from Kent would know more details.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 20 05:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks goldie61. I've just had a look at FindMyPast and Kent wills. You have to apply for the documents so I'll keep that in mind. I don't think this particular William Payne/Paine is represented there but there may be another of interest.